International Travel with Iphone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by davevt98, Jun 16, 2011.

1. davevt98 macrumors newbie

For some reason I cannot find what I thought would be a simple answer.

I am traveling internationally and want to use my iphone for wifi but do not want to incur any charges. When I take out my sim, it does NOT allow me to connect to wifi. If I turn on airplane mode, I cannot use wifi.

Can someone please let me know how to get around this so I can use my wifi on my iphone 4 without having a sim card in the phone? It is activated and jailbroken.

Thanks.

2. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Airplane mode disables all connections including WiFi. You can disable your data/3G or remove your sim card and still use WiFi, just don't turn on airplane mode.

3. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

If you don't want any charges, simply don't make calls or texts and select the 'Off' option for Data Roaming in your phone settings. And I believe you can actually enable Airplane Mode and then enable WiFi (not the other way around)

4. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Cool! Never knew that little trick. You can in fact, turn airplane mode on and then manually turn WiFi on after that. Keeps airplane mode and wifi both on. I just tried it and it definitely works.

5. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Yep. But just in case for those travelling abroad I suggest you disable Data Roaming to avoid abusive carrier fees when you get back home :) (even though airplane mode should do just that)