International Travel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ee99ee, Apr 28, 2008.

1. ee99ee macrumors 6502

ee99ee

I'll be in Brazil for about a month in June. During this time, I would like to use my iPhone but only on Wifi. I do NOT want to use Edge as the fees would be outrageous!

Is there a way to turn off the phone part of the iPhone but leave wifi on? I'm just fearful of unexpected usage fees, especially international fees.

-Chris

2. LastZion macrumors 6502a

download boss prefs if your phone is jailbroken. If not, I assume you are going to use your own native service provider just call them before you go and tell them to turn it off.

3. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

It's not jailbroken. I want the phone off while I'm there, I will not be using a local provider at all.

-Chris

4. Stardotboy macrumors regular

On your iPhone just go to Settings -> General -> Network and turn off data roaming if it's enabled.

Edit: Thought you were just talking about data - not sure how you'd go about switching off voice but keeping WiFi, sorry!

5. docwoz macrumors newbie

I am going to Australia for 3 weeks in two weeks and I'm looking into the same idea as you. I'd love to keep the wifi capabilities and not worry about having the 'phone' features. I think calling at&t is the best option...

6. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

7. docwoz macrumors newbie

So, to minimize charges - the best option is to disable international roaming (this will eliminate all possibilities of data roaming charges, right?) and then take the SIM card out if I only want to use wifi (basically making it an ipod touch).

Do i run any risks of hurting the phone by doing this? Thanks for all the help on this guys, much appreciated.

8. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Are you sure the iPhone will work without the sim card? My guess is no.

My advice is to just put the phone in airplane mode or off unless you are using wifi. Don't answer any calls and make sure data roaming is turning off.

9. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

an iphone works without the sim card inserted. i use both my unlocked/jailbroken and at&t locked iphones without a sim card installed all the time. as long as the iphone has already been activated, it will work without a sim card...

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Then I agree. Just take the SIM out.

11. docwoz macrumors newbie

It seems to work without a SIM card in, but I heard there were issues if the iphone was reset without the SIM card in. If that happens, you'd have to reactivate? I'm not sure if that's true, but seems pretty tough to do from overseas!

12. jeniferkey macrumors member

I'm heading over to Europe this summer. I plan to turn off data roaming and set the phone to forward all calls to my home phone#. If I had an emergency, I'd want to be able to call out, but I don't want to receive calls at the higher rate. I will tell people who need to contact me to text me, because that shows up as free. If I need to text back, that showed up at .50 a text, which is better than the 1.29 per minute call price.

I've set up with my parents, who don't text, so they can text me with email and I will be able to text to their email. I'm not sure how much wi fi access I will have, so wanted a way to communicate if needed.

13. junaidmalik1 macrumors newbie

my iphone works fine without sim card

my i phone works fine without sim card and it didnt get reset i think someone has misguided you.

www.qatarairways.com/5-star

14. lesliegolf macrumors regular

Yep, as the person stated above. Removing the SIM works great. I do this every time I am out of the country. Your carrier text in the upper left will just say No Sim.

I really hope some of the places I visit that have iPhones now will offer PAYG Sims. Then, I would no longer have to carry my Razor and my iPhone when I travel.

And, just as an aside, if you are going somewhere with a carrier that offers SIM cards just buy pay as you go. I use them with my unlocked Razor all the time.

15. tucker101uk macrumors member

Wrong.

I recently went to the Channel Isles, and joined onto the network JT-Wave. I had data roaming turned off, however the iphone would still use EDGE, and my phone bill was aroun £80.

Either its a foreign country and EDGE should not have worked, or its not a foreign country and i shouldnt have been charged... One of the two!

Anyway, I wouldnt rely on the "data roaming" on/off switch.