International travelers/drivers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mac'nCheese, May 19, 2012.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

question for those of you who travel a lot and rent cars: do you hate switching what side of the road you have to drive on or is that something you get used to and barely even think about it?

2. Queso macrumors G4

I drive both right and left-hand drives with about equal frequency, so no difference these days.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To be honest, it takes me a at least a day or two to get used to it each time I do it - firstly, when travelling someplace where driving takes place on the 'other' side of the road to what I am used to, and then, equally, if I have been away for several months, - when I return. It means that I have to concentrate a lot for until I become acclimatised to local conditions; and then have to pay close heed for a day or so when I return.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

My first time in London, at the welcome cocktail party for the group, the tour directer warned us to always look right when stepping off a curb.

First walk about London the next morning, I looked left, and almost got gathered-up by a taxi.

:eek:

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I have no trouble with driving in the UK, it does feel strange but, no major problems.
    But as a pedestrian I am constantly stepping off the curb after looking the wrong way.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you're not alone in that experience :p

7. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

[​IMG]

;)

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

9. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

One way street? :confused:

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I don't find driving on the opposite side of the road a problem; what I do find hard to get used to is the location of things in the car.

Most of my driving overseas was done in Australia. So when I had the car, not only was I not used to the licenses down there (they separate them out by type of engine; if you have a manual, you could drive a manual and an automatic; if you had an automatic, you could only drive automatics. Your license would indicate such), but also where what was located where in the car.

I could get used to the gear shifter in the middle between the seats; cars here in the US have had those for a while.. but switching gears in a manual transmission car with your left hand was weird! Second, the windshield wipers were on the left side of the steering column, while the signal indicator and column adjuster was on the right side of the column. I get to a 4-way stop, instinct kicks in, and flip the left switch thinking I'm signaling, and I turn on the wipers instead. :eek: :eek:

Other than that, it didn't take long to get used to the other side of the road.. in fact, it was easier.

BL.