International Unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Azadre, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Azadre macrumors 6502

Is it possible for someone say in Australia to submit an American iPhone IMEI and have it unlocked if they pay the proper fee?

And if so, are there any non-US folk willing to help me out?

I want to use my phone internationally, and I am traveling to a country where AT&T Traveler does not exist.

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

the answer is no. If your Iphone is not Iphone4, then why don't you unlock it by using free software from the net?

3. Azadre thread starter macrumors 6502

Because I do not want to upgrade my baseband and make restoring to legit firmwares impossible. Sadly, I've already been burned by an London based operation selling "Official Unlocks". They were selling instructions for how to jailbreak and use ultrasn0w. I just want an IMEI unlock through Apple without jailbreaking.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

One option is to sell your phone and buy a factory unlocked phone. Another is that carriers in countries like England, Italy, etc. will authorize an unlock on your phone with a fee and/or a certain number of months of service. If you're in Australia, they might have something similar.
    However, you can't do this with an AT&T phone. Even if it's a loss, it's better to get a factory unlocked than have to deal with the hoops of unlocking via ultrasnow.

5. Azadre thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. It may be cheaper and easier to just pick up a dumb phone.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

It has been my experience that no carrier will unlock a phone they did not sell.
    So no UK carrier or any other carrier who unlocks is going to unlock an AT&T iPhone.
    I am certain if one does some reading/research, they will confirm this.

7. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Is the phone covered in applecare? you can always slightly damage a censor so that some little function on the phone stops working, then go to an Aussie Apple Store, and have them exchage it under applecare. Their replacements "im sure" will be unlocked Aussie iPhones. Boom!

8. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Don't worry at all about the carrier, if you get this done then youll be getting it done through apple, either the legit way or the jew way that I recommended above. ;) Jew man...Out

9. PLin macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. When you get a replacement, the activation profile from the original is transferred to the replacement, so the lock status is preserved.

I have an unlocked iPhone 4 from Canada, and when I had it replaced at an Apple Store in the US, my unlock was preserved even though all iPhones in the US are locked.

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

:rolleyes:OP can't do that. American phones are covered by American applecare; the phone has to be brought into an American Apple store. That's why someone who buys an unlocked phone from Hong Kong would have to take it to the Hong Kong Apple store for service.

11. PLin macrumors 6502

That's not true. See my post above. I had my iPhone from Canada replaced at an Apple Store in the US. Apple's policy is simply that they can service out-of-country iPhone's at their discretion.

However, this won't help the OP, because the "Australian" iPhone will still be locked upon processing the replacement.

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Wow. I've always wanted to buy an unlocked phone from Apple in Canada, but hesitated because I didn't want to have to travel back to get it serviced.
    This is good to know for the future.

13. cheme75 macrumors newbie

I'd be careful about basing Apple policy for any other country simply on a handful of anecdotal US-Canada situations... I'd call or go to an Apple store to inquire to be sure.

14. CZK macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

International unlock...? Didnt know that there was national unlocks. Maybe continental unlock? Intergalatic unlocks ?

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The unlocks for iPhone4 does not involve any baseband updating. That is for 3G/3GS

We expect the updated Ultrasn0w to be released after March 11th and to work for basebands 2.10.xx and 3.10.xx.

As far as getting an official carrier to unlock another carrier's phone, I personally have never read that anyone has been able to get it done.

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Have you actually done this ?

Official carriers authorize unlocks (or not as in US) but utilize Apple servers. That is the only part of Apple that is involved in a factory unlock process.

17. PLin macrumors 6502

Like I said, the official policy is that it's at Apple's discretion, so it's still a bit of a risk.

When I first had proximity sensor issues with my Canadian iPhone, the Apple Store in the US agreed to swap it, but they told me that it would be locked to AT&T, so I drove to Toronto to get it swapped instead.

My replacement had some WiFi issues, which a full restore didn't fix, and I didn't feel like driving to Toronto again, so I asked again at the Apple Store in the US, and that time, they told me that they would be able to maintain the unlock, so they swapped it, and the unlock was maintained even though the iPhone has the standard US part number.

I just returned from a 3 week trip to Asia and successfully used SIM cards from Singapore, Hong Kong, Bali, and Indonesia, so I bet I'm probably one of the only ones with a factory unlocked US iPhone now.

18. CZK macrumors 6502a

Just a quick question. Why is it written

I was not on an ipad and the device was not on 4.2.1

whats going on with this automatic text.