International use of iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paddywhack19, Jul 17, 2007.

1. paddywhack19 macrumors newbie

hi, i was wondering if someone could give me some advice.
    i live outside of the united states, in pacific area(NZ), i am looking at bringing an iphone here from the states. 1.Does the iphone use a simcard? and 2. Will the iphone work on the local network, eg:Vodafone or Telecom? like other than just AT&T network in the states.
    Appreciate some help!!

Cheers

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Simple answer, no, the iPhone is locked to AT&T only. You can use it outside the US but using global roaming, which is very expensive.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, it does use a sim card, but it is locked to AT&T. Sorry. :(

4. paddywhack19 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey thanks for that, so no way i can use it here tell it is released in NZ?

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Correct.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ive been reading rumors that vodafone might be using the iphone in australia. maybe they might do that in NZ aswell..... but i donno... will we even get to see an iphone?!?!??!??!?

7. paddywhack19 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi, thanks for that. other people have said that it is locked to the AT&T network in the states. so do you reckon it actully working in Australia? if you have any more information about it working on the australia or NZ networks, could you please pass it on.!!

Cheers

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it will not work if you buy an iphone from europe or america currently. those iphones will only work in their respected areas. the only way i can see the iphone working in australia is if vodaphone and apple can sort out their deal (they are currently arguing about it) possibly the mobile company "3" could be in the running aswell.. but the companies arent that fond of being the host for the iphone.

another issue is that the iphones currecntly run on wifi and AT&T only networks.... in australia there is only 3G and GSM, which iphone do not work on....that means that apple will specifically have to change the iphone to support 3G or GSM.
    another issue that arises here is that these two use an extremely high amount of battery life.... so high that it could half the battery life of the iphone (this is mainly only while using the internet)

hope my jarbel makes sense.... hahaha

9. nimbuscloud macrumors regular

How much is the iPhone's global roaming charges?

:apple:

10. ajs5189 macrumors newbie

im heading to ireland in a month, so i know it will cost me a fortune with international roaming for voice, but wifi will work for free, right?