International use of iphone

paddywhack19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
hi, i was wondering if someone could give me some advice.
i live outside of the united states, in pacific area(NZ), i am looking at bringing an iphone here from the states. 1.Does the iphone use a simcard? and 2. Will the iphone work on the local network, eg:Vodafone or Telecom? like other than just AT&T network in the states.
Appreciate some help!!

Cheers

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Simple answer, no, the iPhone is locked to AT&T only. You can use it outside the US but using global roaming, which is very expensive.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
ive been reading rumors that vodafone might be using the iphone in australia. maybe they might do that in NZ aswell..... but i donno... will we even get to see an iphone?!?!??!??!?

paddywhack19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
ive been reading rumors that vodafone might be using the iphone in australia. maybe they might do that in NZ aswell..... but i donno... will we even get to see an iphone?!?!??!??!?
hi, thanks for that. other people have said that it is locked to the AT&T network in the states. so do you reckon it actully working in Australia? if you have any more information about it working on the australia or NZ networks, could you please pass it on.!!

Cheers

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
hi, thanks for that. other people have said that it is locked to the AT&T network in the states. so do you reckon it actully working in Australia? if you have any more information about it working on the australia or NZ networks, could you please pass it on.!!

Cheers
it will not work if you buy an iphone from europe or america currently. those iphones will only work in their respected areas. the only way i can see the iphone working in australia is if vodaphone and apple can sort out their deal (they are currently arguing about it) possibly the mobile company "3" could be in the running aswell.. but the companies arent that fond of being the host for the iphone.

another issue is that the iphones currecntly run on wifi and AT&T only networks.... in australia there is only 3G and GSM, which iphone do not work on....that means that apple will specifically have to change the iphone to support 3G or GSM.
another issue that arises here is that these two use an extremely high amount of battery life.... so high that it could half the battery life of the iphone (this is mainly only while using the internet)

hope my jarbel makes sense.... hahaha

ajs5189

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2007
Pennsylvania
im heading to ireland in a month, so i know it will cost me a fortune with international roaming for voice, but wifi will work for free, right?