International warranty, AppleCare - yes / no?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scottylans, Jul 4, 2010.

1. scottylans macrumors regular

I am in the UK at the moment and live in Melbourne Australia.
    Could I buy an iphone 4 here and still get it serviced? I'm getting conflicting reports on this, some say yes, some say no, some say maybe?

If I paid for applecare in UK (or AU?) would that help? Would charming the person help? - also take note I would be purchasing an outright iphone, from Apple direct and unlocked.

2. A3Australia macrumors newbie

No International Warranty on iPhone - so far...

iPhones have a 'market specific' warranty.

UK iPhones have to be returned to the UK for any warranty claim.

AppleCare for iPhones is therefore subject to the same restrictions.

3. B Gallagher macrumors regular

The iPhone 4 warranty, given here, states:
    The T&Cs for AppleCare for the iPhone (UK version|Australian version) both state:
    So while Apple Australia may choose to service the phone in Australia, they could just as easily (and have every right to) tell you that the phone has to be serviced in the country it was sold, which in this case would be the UK.

Hope this helps. :)

Australia's in the second round, so it should be getting released there in July. For you, would having the phone less than a month early than everyone else be worth possibly losing the option to have it repaired under warranty if necessary?

4. scottylans thread starter macrumors regular

Really doesn't sound worth it, does it?
    A shame, I was kind of hoping that an outright phone might be looked at more like a laptop purchase, which is of course internationally covered.

5. B Gallagher macrumors regular

Agreed, it is a shame. :(

6. puercaeli macrumors regular

Australian Apple Store honours the warranties if iPhone was bought outright. But it is partial coverage; for example they would only perform repairs but never exchange.(according to Genius at Apple Store Sydney)

7. scottylans thread starter macrumors regular

Yes but honour the warranties of international outright phones or only australian purchased outright phones?

8. puercaeli macrumors regular

Sorry forgot to say outright => any outright phone sold around the world(Eg. Hong Kong, Itatly etc). I think he said iPhone that is not bought outright from any of the eligible countries cannot be repaired or replaced.

Hope I made it clear..

9. scottylans thread starter macrumors regular

Spoke with guy at regent st apple store UK yesterday. he specifically said that outright iphone 4 purchases are covered internationally.

10. B Gallagher macrumors regular

If you've got a bit of time, I'd try calling someone at Apple in Australia (and get something in writing, if you can). If things went badly and they didn't want to cover it under warranty for any reason, "but they guy at the shop in the UK told me it would be covered!" probably won't help you much. :(

11. scottylans thread starter macrumors regular

12. estpl6 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, is there any update on this? I'm also wondering if I should get an iphone 4 in Singapore outright from Apple, and purchased an Australia Applecare and still get it serviced or replaced (if there's anything wrong) in OZ. Thanks! :)

13. ikaveh macrumors regular

apple is now performing international warrenty policy for ip meaning nomatter where you bought it or it is locked or not or it is second handed you can use the warrenty anywhere.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats also what I heard and people have been reporting getting their iphones serviced and exchanged outside the country they originally bought them at.
    I think this policy changed recently.

15. iaymnu macrumors 6502

Iphone 3Gs Italy

So the battery on my 3GS was holding very little charge. I bought it in to 5th ave Apple store NYC, the genius dude acknowledged the battery was bad. Since my phone was factory unlocked, the apple store was able to unlock a USA/locked phone @ the genius bar with my original SIM from italy.

I was 3 weeks out of warranty and everything was free. Otherwise it would be $399 for a 32GB.

The dude @ the genius bar said that some restrictions does not apply anymore. (unlocking phones @ the apple store genius bar)
    GO :apple:

16. MaCamZa macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

So i could buy an iPhone 4 in Canada and use it as if it was a phone bought from the UK?

Just because it's considerably cheaper in Canada than the UK, so i was planning to buy it from Canada and bring it back to the UK to use permanently here; so could i use any UK sim from an Unlocked iPhone 4 from Canada?
    Or is there restrictions? Including Warranty, replacement and repairs?

17. iaymnu macrumors 6502

My factory unlocked 3GS can use any Sim. (t-mobile -with 3g off, Peoples in Hong kong, TIM in italy.)

I don't see why it wouldn't if it is not factory unlocked. Unless the GSM freq-bands are completely different.
    Can you buy a phone in Canada w/o contract?

18. MaCamZa macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

Yh i guess, they advertise them unlocked in the apple store.ca

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good deal.

20. estpl6 macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies. Sorry for being so particular, but I'd like to ask if anyone has managed to get Apple in Australia to repair or exchange an iphone. Thanks :D