International Warranty

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Global Delight, May 15, 2009.

1. Global Delight macrumors newbie

Hey

If I buy an Apple laptop, does it automatically come with limited international warranty or someone has to pay for it? I already have a MacBook but i might get a gift :) from my friend. So before indicating what I want, i thought it is better that I ask first. If I get it without an international warranty, can I buy it in my home country?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You get a year of AppleCare included that is valid anywhere in the world. You have a one-year window to extend AppleCare to 3 years total from the date you buy your Mac. If you do not extend AppleCare within one year you cannot extend it after you miss the deadline.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Apple's warranty is worldwide.

That's why I bought iPod mini in 2004, iPod touch in 2007 in US (I'm from Russia) and plan to buy a MacBook this winter.

If anything goes wrong I can just go to Authorized Apple service for them to fix it.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Apple's warranty is world wide, and they tend to honour their warranties, which is one of the reasons I switched to Apple in the first place. However, as pointed out by miles01110, while initially, you will have a one-year world wide warranty, if you wish extend it to three, you must do so before the first year expires.

Cheers and good luck

5. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

But be careful in some countries (some Asian and Middle eastern countries) the apple shops do not sell the applecare :confused:! Yes they will repair the mac if you have the warranty.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

For some reason you can't get AppleCare in Russia. So we're stuck with 1 year warranties, unless we buy elsewhere. :rolleyes:

7. tommyminahan macrumors regular

(from the AppleCare FAQ)
    Q: Where can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan?
    A: The AppleCare Protection Plan is available at the online Apple Store, Apple retail stores, and many Apple Authorized Resellers. Apple recommends that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan in your country of residence, because each AppleCare Protection Plan has terms and conditions specific to consumers of the country or region in which the plan is offered. Please see the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete details.

(and from the terms and conditions)

l. For Plans sold in the United States, “Apple” is AppleCare Service Company, Inc. an Arizona
    corporation with its registered office at c/o CT Corporation System, 2394 East Camelback Road,
    Phoenix, Arizona 85016, doing business in the state of Texas as Apple CSC, Inc., AppleCare
    Service Company, Inc. is the legal and financial obligor of Plans sold in the United States. The
    obligations of the provider under this service contract are backed by the full faith and credit of the
    provider, AppleCare Service Company, Inc. For Plans sold in Canada, “Apple” is Apple Canada
    Inc., 7495 Birchmount Road, Markham, Ontario, L3R 5G2, Canada. Apple Canada Inc. is the legal
    and financial obligor for Plans sold in Canada.

so, while the 1 year limited warranty gives you worldwide support, there is still a catch with the applecare, being that it seems to be a totally separate company..

i would assume that all the countries that participate in applecare, each have their own "company" that deals with the plans that were purchased in that country.