International Women's Day Activity Challenge Requires Apple Watch Owners to Double Their Move Rings

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 6, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has debuted a new Activity Challenge for Apple Watch wearers today, this one focused on celebrating International Women's Day. To complete the challenge and earn the achievement, you'll have to double your Move ring on March 8, the day that commemorates the movement for women's rights around the world.

The award for completing the challenge will be a set of still and animated stickers you can send to friends and family members within Messages. You'll find the new Activity Challenge by opening the Activity iOS app, tapping the Achievements tab, and tapping the icon for the International Women's Day Challenge achievement, which should be located at the very top of the page.

[​IMG]

The new challenge follows one from February that encouraged users to close their Apple Watch's exercise ring for seven days in a row as a promotion for Heart Month. Apple has regularly added Activity Challenges to the Activity app on iOS over the past few years, marking major holidays like Thanksgiving and New Year's with challenges that encouraged users to avoid staying sedentary during each holiday.

Apple Watch isn't the only area where Apple has been celebrating International Women's Day, with the company debuting a series of female-focused spotlight categories in the iTunes Movies store earlier this week on iOS, macOS, and tvOS. The "Leading Ladies" section offers films like Wonder Woman, Mean Girls, Mad Max: Fury Road, and Room for under $10 for a limited time.

In Apple Music, a "Celebrating Bold Women" card has been featured in the Browse tab for the past few days, linking subscribers to playlists, essential albums, up-and-coming artists, women who made history, and a breakdown of Leading Ladies in musical genres like pop, jazz, rock, and more.

Article Link: International Women's Day Activity Challenge Requires Apple Watch Owners to Double Their Move Rings

2. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

This is a proper hard one for me. Anytime it's double your activity goal I just fail. I'd have to jam in an extra 5K run or so into my day. But, anything to support the ladies.

What do other MR readers have their Activity set to btw? As a recovering fat person (now hovering just below 14st @ 5'10, thanks primarily to the Watch) but now I've seen some good results and I've dropped mine from 780 a day to 680.

This is me being lazy, that extra 100 calories forces at least a one mile run of me a day. But, like I said I'm a recovering fat man not all the way healthy yet. So just wondering how I stack up against you guys?

3. TMRJIJ, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018

TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

By International Women’s Day, you mean just US, Canada, and maybe the UK, right?

4. Michael Clarke macrumors member

Michael Clarke

Mine's set to 480. Working two jobs and going straight from one workplace to the other without a rest generally closes that ring for me. :)

5. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

Haha, yep, that sounds like it'd do it!

6. Nadam23 macrumors newbie

Nadam23

Mine's set to 700. I meet it most days. I'd have to go for an extra 6+ mile run on top of my normal movement and exercising during the day to double it. Probably not gonna happen.

7. alexgowers macrumors 65816

It's sad that there are counties around the world that really do need women's liberation to happen. However calling it international seems bizarre since only people whom can celebrate it, are already liberated. Sure you can be pro this or that without being anti something else but it sure does create an umbrella of superiority that gets abused. Men in many modern societies are far more at risk than women imo. For example, Japanese male suicide is out of control. I find it hard to be on board with promoting any narrative like this, so broad and misguided with zero genuine specific causes to fight for.

This is as pointless as the ice bucket challenge when people didn't even mention the cause or charity. I also don't understand the connection of linking in more activity with women? Are they telling me to loose weight because... women? Seems like completely unrelated gestures that have zero impact on the world with no chance of offending anyone because its improved or changed the world by nought.

8. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

mine is set at 1070 calories. kinda tough....

9. Zadigre macrumors member

Zadigre

I'm 6'2". I was over 270lb in December 2016. I've lost 90lb in 13 months. I exercised more and eat better.
    My target was set to 680 last summer... I easily reached it nearly everyday with my archery practice, gym or my 30 mins fast walks. But for the winter period, I've went down to 450... which is very easy to reach if I go to the gym or shoot my bow (I always start the exercise app for both)... but 450 is limit reachable for those days where I do "nothing".

So this spring when I go out more, I will probably put my goal back to 650 or more.

10. pete2106 macrumors member

pete2106

I'm at 750, It used to be set at 500 but I would still meet that if I didn't do anything. 750 means I have to do some exercise in the day.

11. RichTF macrumors regular

RichTF

550 here. I’ve settled on that as an achievable target if I either (a) do a regular “active” day with no gym, or (b) do a lazy day with gym in the evening. It’s worked out really effective at stopping me from doing lazy days with no gym. :cool:

If I do a really active day as well as hit the gym hard, I might be able to double up on Thursday… Good luck everyone!

12. cjgrif macrumors member

That's about how it works for me. Mine adjusted to 520 last month after being at 480 for quite a while. I have to do some sort of work out to meet it on a regular day, and have to go all out to double it. Unfortunately I have a desk job so "regular, active" days are few and far between.

13. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

That's... that's a lot. Wow. I'm impressed.

14. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

Another recovering fat person here (lost 200 pounds, 50 more to go). Letting my watch choose for me, I'm at 880 for my Activity goal. Pretty easy to hit on work days (I do 30 min treadmill before work), but hard when I don't have an organized workout. Hitting 1760+ is going to be damn near impossible - I think my personal best is under 1200.

15. lunarworks macrumors 65816

I'm pretty active, so it would be hard for me to double my routine. I don't have an Apple Watch anyway.

Ugh.

That has nothing to do with "men's rights", and everything to do with an overbearing and rigid work culture that's stuck in the '80s when there was money to go around. Meanwhile, women are considered "decorations" at work there, are labeled "unwanted" if they don't marry and become a housewife by 25 (look up "christmas cake"), and can't ride the packed subway without being groped.

Nice try, though.

16. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

Nice work buddy. Those are some impressive results and activity!

17. Altis macrumors 68030

@alexgowers makes a point though. Whether it's suicide rates, workplace fatalities, life expectancy, family court, criminal court, university graduation rates, homelessness, addiction, and so on... there are many serious issues that disproportionately affect men and boys.

Even look how Boko Haram kidnaps, murders, and burns alive 100,000 boys without anyone batting an eye... but they kidnap a few hundred girls, it makes international headlines and discussion panels, news segments, government responses, etc, for weeks even.

We're all in this together.

18. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

Thanks...I am a recovering Beach ball as well.... I was 400 lbs when I started now 203 lbs. I try to get in at least 2 hours of workout in (winter is harder). Getting 2140 on Thursday is going to be rough....I currently on a 311 day streak...

19. twistedpixel8 macrumors member

twistedpixel8

And if you don’t do it, you can look forward to an even more patronizing than usual reminder the next day that “you’re a fat lazy waste of space.”

I just wanted one day of being a couch potato, Siri, one god damn day!

20. redneckitengineer macrumors regular

redneckitengineer

I've got mine set to 450/day. Quick and easy to obtain.

21. travisjaymoore macrumors member

I set mine to 800 on days when I can't go to the gym or with my work schedule just can't be very active (a lot of 10-12 hour days on set where I'm on my feet but not necessarily exerting myself). 1200 on days I can go to the gym to I have to really push myself. Lost 15lbs since the beginning of the year with this schedule.

22. Juiceboy macrumors member

Mine is set to 2100kj a day and i thought that was low o_O
    Double that is quite a lot

23. twistedpixel8 macrumors member

twistedpixel8

We mean calories. That’s about 500 calories.

24. Juiceboy macrumors member

is there an option to choose calories or KJs??

25. twistedpixel8 macrumors member

twistedpixel8

That’s a good question! I think the answer is “no” but I could be wrong. I’ve just never seen a kJ option.