Internet Acces to harddrive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AndersK, Oct 1, 2008.

1. AndersK macrumors newbie

Hey everybody!

I have a MacBook Pro and I am often using it different places.

This is what I want:
    I want acces to a harddrive that is located in my home - from anywhere in the world.
    I use it for jpgs, music, tutorials and other stuff that I often use in my work.

A have a Time Capsule standing in my home with a external harddrive connected. A month or two ago I could connect to the Time Capsule and harddrive because I have enabled the 'Share over WAN' feature. But now I can only connect to the drive in the Time Capsule and not from every network - it depends. I think this is because of the latest updates in OS X (or airport utility ?).
    I have read in many forums that a lot of people is having problems with the 'airdisk' feature and Apple does not give us a lot help.

So what to do?
    Is it possible to set up the Time Capsule so I can access it from everywhere on every network? How?

Or how can I fulfill my needs through other ways? Can I setup a server if I buy a Mac Mini? Will that enable me to share a drive over the internet so I can access it from everywhere?

The solutions I seek needs to function 100% (or close to), but the Time Capsule way is of course the cheapest because I allready owns the parts.

Please help me

2. BrianLuGrain macrumors newbie

Internet Access to Hard Drive Time Capsule

I would really appreciate the same. I'm also wondering how to access my Time Capsule from the internet. Would it be possible for it to act as a file server? If so, how would one go about doing this?

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

really complex I should say. you need a static ip address and a dns server. there are a few iphone apps like Vaadu VNC that allows you to remotely access your mac, but only on the "surface", not access internal stuff like HDs. Mocha VNC also does the same thing, but only locally.