Internet access drops 1x per week - motorola + time capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fabuloid, May 9, 2014.

1. fabuloid macrumors newbie

Hey...for about the past 6 months, at least once per week my home wifi network drops offline. the only way i can get it back online is to unplug my motorola cable modem, wait for 20 seconds then plug it back in. it reboots and after a couple minutes, my wifi network is back online. it is very frustrating.

i have comcast xfinity as isp, a Motorola SURFboard SBG900 DOCSIS 2.0, which is connected to an apple time capsule. the time capsule creates my wifi network.

any suggestions to resolve this problem would be much appreciated.

thanks,
    brian

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Do you have to restart the Time Capsule too when it goes out. This sounds like classic modem issues.

Xfinity is having issues with DOCSIS 2.0 devices and is working to get them all up to 3.0. A new simple modem would work great! Try to avoid one with the router built in.

3. fabuloid thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have to restart the time capsule. the green light on the time capsule remains lit indicating it is working fine. In fact, my wifi network is still visible and whatever devise I am on shows that it's connected to my wifi network. the only problem is that nothing will load because I'm not connected to the internet.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You need to replace or upgrade the ISPs modem.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like cable modem is rebooting.

http://192.168.100.1

Try going to this page and click on the "logs" tab and see if there is a modem reboot shown at the time/date this happens. Be aware the time will likely be shown in GMT, so may be a few hours off from your local time.