Internet access for ITunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mozthedog, Apr 16, 2010.

1. mozthedog macrumors newbie

My ITunes program makes my computer ask me if I want to give Itunes permission to access the internet in the form of "Allow or Deny" message. I went to the system's prefs and checked if ITunes was in the list of programs with permission to do so and it is....
    This is recent. My Firewall is on
    What could make ITunes trigger this message????

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Not sure if you are on OSx or not, but some firewalls keep track not just of a program but also it's signature. I remember when I was using Windows with a firewall every time I updated something like Firefox the firewall would complain the next time I used it and I had to re-allow access.

A number of reasons iTunes might want to access the net:
    ..check for a new update
    ..iTunes store..
    etc

3. mozthedog thread starter macrumors newbie

I am running a new IMac with MAC OS 10.6.3
    Thanks

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. mozthedog thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello consultant
    How do I find out the maker of my Pre-installed firewall ????. This is the "from the factory firewall".
    Moz

6. mozthedog thread starter macrumors newbie

HI All
    I have posted this one on the ITunes forum but I think I need more OS expertise.
    My ITunes program makes my computer ask me if I want to give Itunes permission to access the internet in the form of "Allow or Deny" message. This happens every time I start ITunes.
    I went to the system's prefs and checked if ITunes was in the list of programs with permission to do so and it is....
    This is recent. My Firewall is on and ITunes is in the list of permissible program in my firewall. I am running a brand new IMac OS 10.6.3
    What could make ITunes trigger this message????
    As a matter of fact, it seems that all programs that need an internet connection, are asking permission...
    Thanks for suggestions
    Moz

7. blackboxxx macrumors regular

I had the same issue a couple of months ago after upgrading iTunes 8.2 to 9.0 via Software Update.
    I don't know if this is a known issue or not, but the update installer failed to delete some 8.2 files that are not present in 9.0 and their presence made iTunes' digital signature invalid.
    The "correct" way to fix the issue is to identify those extra files and delete them. The command "codesign -vvvv /Applications/iTunes.app/" can help with that.

However, the easiest fix is just to trash iTunes.app and download it again from apple.com/itunes.

8. softdevelopment macrumors newbie

Woh, thx, it works for me now :D, was having the same problem.

9. mozthedog thread starter macrumors newbie

We are now in May and still not a whisper from a helping hand...... Maybe there's no life out there?????
    Still waiting for a suggestion about this issue.
    Thanks out there wherever you may be!!!!!!

10. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Are you the Administrator User of the computer?

11. mozthedog thread starter macrumors newbie

12. mozthedog thread starter macrumors newbie

internet access for ITunes

Problem fixed
    Did a complete re-install
    Thank you all
    Moz

13. mozthedog thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the re-install worked for a while but the problem is back. ITunes still asks me for permission to go on the net every time I launch it, most annoying.
    I wonder if this is linked with either Onyx or CleanMyMac...????
    Moz

Hi Again
    Well thank Apple.... for fixing the problem and creating a giant mess. I used my phone to talk to a SENIOR tech. I have "AppleCare". After cleaning my library and other files associated with ITunes the annoying prompt went away because it was thought the library was the cause of it. as it turns out the prompt did go away and after re-dragging my music from the finder's folder down to the dock Icon to reload the music in a newly created library, I was left with missing music and I mean missing (almost 85%) of my original content. Furthermore of what was left, 91 albums had lost their artwork. So now what I would like to do is for someone to help me clean ITunes completely (all music and associated artwork) while preserving the movies I purchased from the ITunes store, my contact list, then reload my music from my ipod using something like Senuti or other suggested program so I don't have to re-scan all my albums, over 8200 songs all in albums.
    I run an 27" Imac with a 2 TB drive and a 1 TB external backup drive. The external drive is empty at this time because I decided not to use it in conjunction with Time Machine. It was reformatted not so long ago and I will use it as a dedicated music and movie backup and get another 2TB drive to work as the system backup.

I thank anyone who helps me in advance
    Moz