"internet appears to be working corrently" but ISNT?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by paulct, Sep 28, 2009.

1. paulct macrumors newbie

Hello -

2 days ago out of nowhere, my internet connection stopped working. Safari, ichat, google notifier, firefox, all nothing. Safari tries to load for a minute than says no response from the server the webpage is located at. It does this for every website.

my cable modem is showing all signs are good. solid cable and data light is green. Router is working fine and I even tried to hook the computer up to the cable modem directly and same thing. This happens with a hard wired connection and airport.

I have logged into windows and osx on my imac and same thing. says internet is connected and working fine with great signal, but anything that needs to be connected does not work.

Called comcast and they said everything looks good on their end.

Ive done the zap pram repair fsk all that. Still says server where webpage is located has no response.

help! Please?

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Power cycle your modem and router. If it were only happening in a specific app, or only in OS X, I'd say it's a software problem but since it's everywhere, gotta be a problem with your modem and/or Comcast (despite what they told you).

And when you power cycle the modem, try unplugging the actual cable line from it too for at least 15 seconds.

3. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

run network diagnostics and post a picture here. It will tell me exactly where the problem is.

-Eric

4. paulct thread starter macrumors newbie

When I run it all the buttons are green and it says your internet is working correctly.

5. paulct thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive unplugged everything for hours, then replugged. Still same problem..

tries to load page but says couldn't load because the server the website is located wasn't responding. for every site. Comcast still says everything should be working fine.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Have you tried getting new...

com.apple.internetconfig.plist
    com.apple.internetconfigpriv.plist

For sure, you want to keep the originals around in case new plist files don't help.

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Hmm, but the OP said it happened in Windows too?

OP: When you plugged it into the cable modem directly did you power cycle the modem at that time? You generally have to every time you plug in a different device. Trying to eliminate variables. It would be best if you had another computer or internet-enabled device (iPhone?) to connect to your network and see.

8. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

9. Nimiety macrumors regular

Try browsing a website by IP address and not by name: 206.191.28.40 (it's mine). Does that work?

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If the problem is present in both Windows and OS X I would say there is something wrong with your router or it's settings. Try a factory reset, usually performed through a pinhole reset button you depress on the router while it is turned on for 30 seconds.

Then run the connection wizard for the router if needed. Most are set for DHCP through the WAN and for wireless without security by default so the wizard may not be needed.