Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This week the Internet Archive website announced it has curated a range of classic Macintosh software for interested users to download and emulate in their browser, allowing them to get a feel for Apple days of yesteryear.

The selection spans the period 1984-1989 in Macintosh history, and features classic applications like MacPaint and MacDraft, System Software 6, and games including Dark Castle, Airborne! and Lemmings.

screenshot_00-1.jpg
If you've not experienced the original operating system for the Macintosh family of computers, it's an interesting combination of well-worn conventions in the modern world, along with choices that might seem strange or off-the-mark. At the time the machine was released, however, they landed new ideas in the hands of a worldwide audience and gained significant fans and followers almost immediately.
In addition, the compilation of System 7.0.1 includes a large variety of software programs and provides a vintage recreation of the later MacOS experience of 1991. Some features that System 7 boasted over its predecessor included virtual memory, personal file sharing, QuickTime, QuickDraw 3D, and an improved user interface.

screenshot_03.jpg

The full range of software can be found in the Macintosh Collection. The emulator itself comes prepackaged in each listing and does not require a separate download.

Article Link: Internet Archive Offers In-Browser Emulation of Classic Macintosh Software, Circa 1984-1989

Reactions: Vanilla35

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Gemstone Warrior - from the age before the invention of diagonal movement.

Still waiting for the IA to return the Amiga games archive which was fleetingly live in beta format last year!

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
If anyone doesn't mind a few seconds with Xcode they should try mini vMac for iOS. It runs a smoothly fluid emulation of a Mac Plus or Mac II on an iPhone or iPad. The archive.org emulator works in Safari on iOS, but not at native speed. Running it natively gets about 30 times the speed of a Mac Plus on my iPad Pro. For kicks you can even launch an ancient copy of Insignia SoftPC inside of that and run DOS commands :D

Reactions: badNameErr

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I haven't used System 6 in a long time. I forgot how much more I liked System 7. What is interesting. Is how Mac OS X has its System Preferences modeled more like the System 6 Control Panel.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
I didn't know anyone who had a Macintosh in the 80"s. TI 99/4A's, Timex Sinclare and the Commodore Vic 20 and 64 were all I really touched back then. Tandy, IBM, and Wang were for the adults.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Mac Golf, 3 in Three, Oids and Alien Arcade. All which still work on my Mac Plus!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.