Internet at college keeps crapping out on me

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jon Stewart, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Jon Stewart macrumors newbie

Sometimes I get the self assigned ip message and sometimes it just stops working for no reason. I have tried a handful of solutions such as disabling IPV6, renewing my DHCP lease, and restarting my computer. Sometimes these things work and sometimes they don't, but the problem is that they rarely work for more that 10 minutes.

This is a problem for both my wifi and ethernet connections. At first, it only happened when I was using the ethernet connection in the dorm, but the issue seems to have migrated over to my wifi as well. I really don't understand what the problem is. :confused: Anyone else have a similar issue and know a solution? Could this be hardware related?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There are probably too many people connected.

3. Jon Stewart thread starter macrumors newbie

My roommate hasn't had any issue using the same macbook pro 13 in as I am. I'm convinced it's and issue with my computer. I've contacted IT support through an online chat and he gave me the impression that my situation was an isolated issue. He told me to turn off IPV6 and it worked but only temporarily.

My firewall is off btw, so that isn't the issue either.

4. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I have the same exact issue here at my college and it annoys the piss out of me.

I would just say it's a Mac thing, but I've have multiple MacBook Pros do it, but my buddies MacBook Pro never has an issue.

Any chance you're at Mississippi State University? Hahahha

5. Jon Stewart thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope Indiana. This is ridiculous though. I got a mac to avoid annoying problems like this.

6. Jon Stewart thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: Still don't know why this is happening.

7. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

what happens if your roommate connects via ethernet and then shares the connection wirelessly to you?

8. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

If it's like my college, they'll block the ethernet port. I've had that happen before doing a similar thing.

"The network electronics connected in this PC has been
    disrupting other students use of the MSU network."

I had to talk with the Dean of Students to get it switched back on.

So.... don't go this route. You'll just be looking for trouble.