Internet/bandwidth traffic volume meter

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cool11, Jun 18, 2014.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I need a good and trusted application for keep track of my total download/upload traffic, for use with my mobile provider data plan. If I exceed it, it will cost me a lot. So I need to know.
    I used to use an app called SurplusMeter in the past. It is quite old now and it seems to have random problems.
    So I need your suggestions about it.

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Doesn't your provider offer any services to monitor your usage? I use Verizon and get text and email alerts when I've used 50, 75, 90, and 95% of my data plan. If I need more for that month I can go online and up my plan so I don't get overage charges at over double the rate.

3. willieva macrumors 6502

4. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Ι don't think I have such an option, with an easy way.
    Maybe web controlpanels by mobile providers, looking every few minutes, not very convenient.

----------

Where is this?

5. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I search again and again by myself to find something, but with no luck.
    It is hard to believe that I have no option in mac.

6. soulsyphon, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014

soulsyphon macrumors regular

7. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

It seems to do the job, thank you.
    But is there any way to 'reset' statistics when I need it, or set a time period for stats collection?
    It displays totally network usage by adapter, but I do not want just a 'total' mb upload/download in general, but I should be able to start it when I start using my mobile data package, and if I could set a limitation (lets say, 'alarm' me when it reaches totally 5gb in 'wireless' adapter) it would be very helpful.

8. soulsyphon macrumors regular

there's three data things if you click the graph. last hour, last 24 hours, last 7 days... besides that no, maybe there's an alternative app.

i'm guessing you're either using your phone or live in a country that has no unlimited internet... if you're using your phone you can get apps for what you asked for... if you're in some lame country... you're asking a dev team to feel sorry for you and add features for those countries.

if you're canadian, you can get unlimited with teksavvy or distributel. ( a lot of people think canada doesn't have unlimited, which is false )

sorry, if that doesn't help... use google. ;\

edit: here i typed "istats alternative" in google and got this
    http://alternativeto.net/software/istat/?platform=mac

edit#2: when it comes to mac, most devs come from US since apple dominates there and no where else, maybe canada