Internet banking in the US

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FatMax, Feb 4, 2015.

1. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

Hi all,

Have a few questions I hope someone can answer for me.

I'm thinking of opening an account in the U.S. The reason being I might move here in 3-6 months. That way I can keep transferring money over to sort of start building credit.

Is there any bank that will allow you to open an account without an American adress? Can it be totally email based? I would also like opinions on the best internet based banks, the ones that'll let you pay bills online and such. I understand there are great differences to banking in the U.S. versus my home country.

Also, support for Apple Pay would be very helpful.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Your credit rating is your credit rating it's not really country specific. Honestly I've a friend that did this a few years back and your best bet is to go with a bank in your own country that operates in the u.s then when you move have the account transferred.

3. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Address is less of an issue than a Social Security# and some type of credit history.

If you have neither, it's going to be close to impossible to open an account at an American bank.

Once you have a visa / work permit, you can get a social security#, and then open accounts. Checking accounts and debit cards is your only option until you establish some credit history. It will take you a few years to build a good enough credit history to get loans and credit cards.

-t