Internet based hardware test doesn't even start

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dontwalkhand, Jan 11, 2012.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I have restarted my 2011 MacBook Pro, and I held down the D key like the instruction manual suggested. The AHT doesn't even start, it just sits at a grey screen for a while, and then the Apple shows up and proceeds to boot up the OS like normal.

The Mac doesn't come with any discs or anything, as it relies on Internet Recovery as it was a Mac that was shipped with Lion.

2. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

3. sunnyj macrumors 6502

if its a early 2011 it won't boot from the internet. you have to install lion on a usb stick and start up the computer holding the alt key.

4. Eliz macrumors member

does running the apple hardware test once a month damage the mac?

Hi, I unknowingly have been using the extended Apple Hardware test (once a month) just to be on the safe side (ironic!)... i hear it damages the battery or something... also, the last time i finished running it, i pushed the "restart" button and the fans started kicking in at 6000 rpm for like 5 minutes... but my mac is ok now... bottomline, is it harmful to run the hardware test so often????

5. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Refurbed models behave like a late 2011...they even have the new launch pad key instead of the dashboard key on the kb.

6. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

False. I've done Internet Recovery several times on my early-2011.

7. pscraig macrumors member

It's OPTION + D

Somewhere I also read to just hold down D. Apple updated their docs:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.7/en/mh35727.html

----------

It's not harmful at all. The fans run at high speed because the power management features are turned off during AHT. The CPU thermal protections are of course still there.

However, there's really no reason to run AHT unless you are having some sort of problem. It doesn't do any pre-emptive repairs, it's just a hardware diagnostic.

8. Eliz macrumors member

thanx a lot!

Thanx man. From now on, I shall use the AHT whenever I have probs... was stupid of me... hehe, having a mac does make one paranoid sometimes...