Internet behaving oddly?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kristofer, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Kristofer macrumors member

Recently I opened my macbook at my parent's house and though Airport indicated a strong connection no browser would work and I checked the network icon and it had the whole "self assigned ip address and may not be connected to the internet" crap. I looked around the room at my mum and dad on their computers and I said "Are you guys connected?" They were. So I went and unplugged the router and plugged it back in and I was connected. Yay.

but then I got home and opened up my macbook and airport hesitated a while before finally showing me a list of available networks, instead of just signing into my network immediately like it normally does. I selected my own network and was connected.

Then I went to work and opened up my macbook and I could not establish a connection to the wifi there. The same "self assigned ip" stuff. Airport showed fully connected.

I hoped it was a coincidence. When I got home airport once again sat there thinking about whether it should connect or not. It showed me a list of damn networks again. I selected mine and it connected.

Since then I've installed updates (though there wasn't much to install) and restarted the computer a few times but of course that didnt do a thing. I used to be able to open up my laptop and immediately airport would connect and I'd start surfing. Now, though I haven't been getting the list of networks any more, airport takes a little while before it connects. It stays greyed out as if it can't find a network and then I'm left waiting, wondering what's wrong, before it connects. Never had to wait before.

Tomorrow I'm bringing my laptop to work again hoping when I open it it connects to the wifi but honestly my hopes are pretty low.

What is going on??

2. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

The other thing I forgot to mention is that I can't get on MSN on my mac. It says the service might be down or I'm not connected. I can get on MSN on my PC. If I try to get on MSN on my mac I get signed out of MSN on my PC and I get a message on my pc saying I've signed in on another computer, but actually I'm not signed in on another computer since it times out. :confused: