internet browsers continually freeze

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ayres, Sep 30, 2010.

1. ayres macrumors regular

hi all, i have a 24-inch imac running 10.6.4 that i bought one year ago.

within the week, firefox began freezing. everything else on the computer is fine. i would force quit and then reopen it again. it would only be a matter of time before firefox would freeze again (color wheel spinning).

i thought it was firefox, so i began using safari... safari was okay for a couple days, but then it began doing the same thing.

the one important detail i've noticed is that some webpages never finish loading - and i think this may have something to do with the freezing. for instance, the bar at the bottom of the window that displays link addresses and info retrieval info shows that not all items have finished loading. however, i cannot stop loading the page - b/c selecting the stop action is not possible. and the number that is shown as loading is a very, very big number...

so once the page opens, the bar at the bottom will display, for instance, that 128 of 130 items loaded. first off, that is a very big number. secondly, before the '130' stops increasing, both numbers increase together equally. so it is as if the first number cannot quite catch up to the second number.

this is the only detail i've noticed as odd to my freezing firefox and safari. i'm unsure exactly how long it has been doing this loading thing, but once my windows began freezing, i began noticing it. also, not all webpages have this issue.

with firefox, i've tried up updating the plug-ins. but there is one java plug-in that does not seem to update. also, with safari, i'm not sure how to update plug-ins. is that something that apple likes to control?

2. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Back up your data files; erase and reinstall the OS; reinstall your apps; copy your data back to the computer.

3. ayres thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the reply!

...but... don't you think that is a bit drastic? i know that reinstalling operating systems is a healthy thing to do every-so-often, but this is only the browsers that are acting abnormally.

can anyone else chime in?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Contact Genius Bar for support. They are paid to help you.

5. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

It could be, uhm..., Flash.
    Open the activity monitor when the thing happens and look if something is using abnormal CPU load or RAM.