Internet Browsing History app/Safari Extension

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BreakGuy, Mar 3, 2012.

1. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Does anyone know of an app or Safari extension that records internet history and holds it even when the user clears the history from within Safari?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never seen one. Why would you want to? If you want to keep history, just don't clear it.

3. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

My brother continues to use our data until our caps are reached and I need some solid evidence against him. He clears the history and I can't find a way to record it on the sly.

4. -aggie-, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

-aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If that’s really the case, you could just install a keylogger.

Edit: Scratch that, since it won’t let you know what he’s clicking on.

5. Blue Monkey macrumors newbie

There are various apps you can use to track user history, but they really infringe on user privacy.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

History wouldn't necessarily help, as the history won't show how much bandwidth was used, only the sites visited. It also wouldn't show if there was downloading via torrents or other apps that could add to bandwidth usage without showing at all in browser history.

You can use SurplusMeter to track bandwidth, but not per user.

7. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I don't need a bandwidth meter. My ISP provides me with a graph of bandwidth usage and the times. My brother is not using torrents (there's no torrent client on the mac). What I suspect he is doing it viewing a large quantity of YouTube videos and deleting the history afterwards.

He's not mac savvy and wouldn't be aware of any apps that are recording his history. Also, he uses the administrator account. Separate user accounts are a pain.

8. Blue Monkey macrumors newbie

Separate user accounts wouldn't be a pain if you set up the monitoring for the secondary account. You can also set restrictions. If he is intentionally hogging bandwidth and then lying about it he shouldn't be allowed to do so. That's not fair to you or anyone else.

9. BreakGuy, Mar 4, 2012

BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Does giving him an account with parental controls enabled allow administrators to view his browsing history despite his attempts to hide it via deletion?

EDIT:
    So that does work. But I would still rather not go about it this way if there is a viable option out there.

10. ObuckiO, Mar 4, 2012

ObuckiO macrumors regular

Would the PubSub "Feeds" folders tell anything? I seen it actually have stuff that was typed in them(comments and the like). Do them white folders even do any good/harm?
    Are they RSS feeds that need to be turned off???(i read a little about that), but most i've heard is leave them alone.
    As to Breakguy wanting to spy, can they help him with that?
    Edit: As a matter of fact, Breakguy helped me out a few months back with PubSub questions, So i really feel like this was a dumb question.(as if i didn't already)

11. Blue Monkey macrumors newbie

No but it will certainly allow more flexibility on your end. I would highly recommend that you get a free account at http://www.opendns.com/

Set up your Internet to run through it. It will allow you to log all browsing history regardless if they delete it or not on the Mac end. You can use it to block sites as well.