Internet browsing is devolving! Options?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by serr, Mar 13, 2017.

1. serr macrumors regular

It seems like internet browsing is devolving. I know a lot of this is probably revolving adblock and scripts fighting with it crashing and memory leaking. File under: And this is why we can't all have nice things! I don't think anything has devolved to the point of the Windows experience or anything like that. But from the Mac user perspective... WTF?

Any recommendations?

Currently running OSX 10.10 (Which I will be staying with for a couple years at least for ease of various 3rd party audio production apps.)
    I'm still using Firefox.
    Adblock of course because there is absolutely no choice with the over the top silliness going on!

So... You have merely a dozen tabs open and you have to restart the browser periodically when some script crashes and starts memory leaking and runs off with all your RAM.

I tried Chrome but fired it immediately when they tried to hide this "updater" app that tries to call home every 20 minutes. (Thank you Little Snitch!) Opened Safari... seems clunky. Some websites treat it like it's not a real browser and just the download app for a real browser (like the running joke Windows users have with Internet Explorer).

What am I missing?
    Or can we really no longer have nice things?

Do I have to start running script blockers now too?

PS. I have pro Mac machines (for audio production) too. Web browsing apps are like running a calculator app as far as system resources are concerned. This isn't about coaxing performance from an aging machine or lower spec new machine.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

It is the current situation. The web was once simple. I compare it to the mall...used to have nice stores and big hallways. Now the hallways are crowded and packed with small vendors that try to spray perfume on you.

For the Chrome updater there's a Terminal command to change the run frequency of the update.

sudo defaults write com.google.Keystone.Agent checkInterval XXXXX
    where "XXXXX" would be the interval time, in seconds, for the updater to run. A value of 0 keeps the updater from running but no matter what value you enter it will run on a restart.

But the web is annoying no matter what browser you use.

3. serr thread starter macrumors regular

Seems the new build of Firefox is buggy. Reverting to v49 is the thing to do here. :)

4. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

I used Canary Chrome...remembers my passwords, user names and its fast...Firefox...slow to open...slow to load a page...many times gets infected with sites that say I have a problem and I need to do this or that...or update my this or that....big waste.

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

I thought I was the only one who thought that the browsing got slower and more buggy. I wish I could go back to the Safari from 6 years ago. Now I frequently have the feeling the browsers (all of them) frequently get stuck downloading a site for several seconds up to a minute before they are done loading a site. It's annoying as it's usually just some stupid ad or script that takes forever to load. On top of that Safari now runs videos on a site as picture in picture covering up some of the webpage. Why can't I simply browse the web anymore........

6. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

In my experience, you're better off NOT running any ad/script/tracker blockers. They've gotten to the point where they're more annoying than the things they try to block. Plus, you spend more time whitelisting things that aren't ads, and many sites just flat-out don't work with them running.

7. winston1236 macrumors 68000

Web pages have also become a lot more bloated. Faster broadband speeds means developers have become lazy and don't optimize as well as they should. And if you have multiple tabs with these bloated pages loaded problems usually come up.