Internet Bullying

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Prof., Jan 12, 2008.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Does anyone know where I can report internet bullying? If you do it would be a huge help.

Thanks,

Prof. :apple:

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

4. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Just block them or stop talking to them if they annoy you.

5. billmister macrumors 6502

yeah just ignore them. I mean what they said to you or how they "bully" you can't be that serious. BUT if it makes you feel really uncomfortable approach the person that makes you feel that way and tell him/her to chill. If they continue, then if it's on the forum then you can report to mod, but if it's more serious than that, try that isp up there posted.

Worst comes to worst, find out if they use windows. Get a virus and sent them a greeting.:D

PS-JUST JOKING! DO NOT DO THAT.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Depends on how sever the bullying is. If you're constantly being harassed and have threats made against you then it's best to contact the ISP, or if it's really sever your local police.
    If it's only minor then just report it to the site owner (if it's on a forum).

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I don't know of where to report it, but there are better ways to handle it, ecspecially if you know who they actually are.

8. Bogie macrumors regular

Interestingly enough there was a law passed a year or two ago against this. It's presently being used to sue a grown woman who posed as a 13 year old boy and antagonized a girl on myspace to the point that she killed herself.

9. BigPrince macrumors 68020

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

True story, but no law AFAIK. In fact the big issue in the Megan Meier case is the failure of authorities to charge the woman who tormented her with a crime.

Worst idea yet. Bullies like fights. That's why they pick them.

If you have good evidence, report them to their ISP. Often this kind of behavior is a violation of their terms of service.

Also, Google this topic. You'll find it's been discussed a lot.

11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Maybe the worst advice anyone could possibly give, please think before you post.

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Are they seriously out to get you or are they just being a troll?

14. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Someone help me out. How can you be 'bullied' on a forum? If someone I don't know on an Internet forum threatens to steal my lunch money I just leave the forum. If it's someone I know then the problem is in RL and away from the forum. Is there a third?

15. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Threats, harassment, cruel jokes, and more, a little though and you should be able to think of a few more.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And it's the internet, where it's easy to ignore the person and walk away and never deal with their crap again. Anyone who's going to go whine about it is just as childish as the guy doing the bullying

17. BigPrince macrumors 68020

What is there contact info? I have a few friends that can take of this for you.

jk

18. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Ok. If they are just annoyingly teasing either ignore him or tell him off. Be a big boy and live with it. People pick on other people. Its the natural pecking order.

Is this another student at school, someone you know, or a stranger? If you think you might kill yourself or feel severely threatened over it just call up your local police dep. and they have ways to dealing with it. I know a couple kids in my town that got in trouble for it.

19. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Did they call into question his professional qualifications? Because I think that title might have been self-imposed!

I think that you need to give more details because who should handle this clearly depends on the nature of the bullying and the environment the two of you are in (assuming it's just you and one other person). If you are both in school for example this would seem like a school matter.

20. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

I don't know what the ISP of this person is. I contacted the website and asked them to take strict disciplinary action against the member and they have yet to reply to me.

21. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Cease communication and interaction with the aggressive person immediately.
    Let it pass, and stay out of the community involved for a while.
    Unless of course, you believe you're actually in imminent danger.
    If this is true, then file a Police report.

BTW, I think it would be a good idea to change your passwords and online monikers, and clear your personal profiles in bulletin boards etc...

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Please explain what sort of bullying it is, because I have a feeling it's no big deal and both of you need to grow up

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It might not be any of your business. Since the OP asked the question we should assume that it's serious enough to not simply ignore.

24. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Let me put it in a way that wouldn't make it sound childish... The guy said that he is going to stab me. I'm on my iPod right now but when I get back on my MB I'll post some of the stuff he has said to me and others.

25. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Do you know the guy in real life?

oh, and remember kids:

[​IMG]