Internet calls on the iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Luis Ortega, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I saw an app called truphone that supposedly allows you to phone over the internet rather than through the iphone network.
    Can you phone overseas with it for a low rate? Is it limited to a particular country?
    Is it anything like Skype, and can you use Skype on the iphone to make calls over the internet?
    Are there other apps that do this for the iphone?

2. David-fr macrumors 6502

is kind of expencive, i call to Spain, to a cellphone and it was like 30cents pero minute. you must be on a wifi network. u can call all the world, as long as u know the country code...but now i use FRING to call a computer via Messenger is free but cant call a cellphone.

also, i think that if you call another fring number is free, but the fring app cant recive calls on the iphone, but if u call NOKIA,
    NOKIA, its totally free.

i seggets this app if u live in europe and call frome Europe to the States. It is much cheaper!

3. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Fring is about the best thing the AppStore has right now.

4. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

I've had very good luck with Truphone. I use it to call landlines mostly, and these calls are very reasonably priced at $0.06 per minute to France and most of Western Europe. The $0.30 per minute to call a portable is too steep for me to use it just to chat.

I have also used Fring successfully, and it will let you use a number of instant messaging services as well as Skype, although I had no luck the one time I tried to sign into my Skype account via Fring, but to be fair, I didn't have the patience to persist.

Personally, I prefer the user interface on Truphone for iPhone to landline calls, although I am a big Skype fan when I have my laptop and a headset available. For me it's worthwhile putting $10 on Truphone, but they gave me something like a $5.00 free credit to start, so you might want to give it a try just to see how you like it.

Good luck!