Internet comes & goes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyFox05, Sep 29, 2009.

1. HappyFox05 macrumors newbie

We have a pretty new iMac with 10.6.1. We live in a campground & our internet connection comes wirelessly from an office about 100-150 yards away. The signal is strong. However, we lose our ability to operate on the internet a lot (more lately than when we first got the computer). If I look on the "Network Diagnostics" window, while I'm having problems, the ISP, Internet, and Server buttons will be red. Then, they'll cycle over into green. Then they'll go red again. Sometimes the Network Settings button will be red too. On days like this, even if the connection is all green, it's terribly slow.

I know this is kind of a hodge-podge of info - does anyone have any idea what could be going on & how to fix it? Thanks. :)

2. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I had a really weird problem where every time I clicked on a link or went to a new webpage, the connection would drop for about 30 seconds. I had no idea where to start and eventually when it came time for SL, I did a clean install and that solved the issue.

I don't know what to say in terms of your situation because advocating a clean install doesn't appeal to everyone. How often do you shutdown/restart? Sometimes that could make a difference.

3. HappyFox05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Shutdown/restart works sometimes, but I think it's just a coincidence. A clean install isn't out of the question, but we've only had the computer for about a month - it doesn't seem like that should be needed this soon. After all, we're not talking about a PC here. :)