Internet Connect Username/Password

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DanielSzall, Dec 11, 2007.

1. DanielSzall macrumors newbie

Hello.
    First off, i wanted to say how happy I am having switched to all apple in the past few months.

Now onto my issue,
    I was hoping to be able to access my schools wireless internet through my ipod touch. I have been able to do so with in the past with my macbook. The way it works with my macbook however, is that after connecting to the wireless internet, Firefox/safari etc. asks for my school user name and password so that it may connect to the internet. With the touch however, there is no prompt for it, and therefore i'm unable to connect.

My touch is jailbroken and therefore i'm able to install third party apps and such.

Is there any way that i can insert a username and password through either the touch itself, or through a third party app?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

So you'd connect to your network, no problems there, then load Safari... and not get a prompt ? Don't expect Safari to load automatically after you've joined the network...

Many users have reported problems on school networks...

3. nordesmic macrumors member

Your problem is that the school network uses a different wireless networking standard. The ipod touch and the iphone are unable to connect to this standard (the name escapes me right now). Have a search of the forum and you'll find that this is a major annoyance for people at schools and universities around the world.

Write a feedback thing to Apple asking them to implement this protocol into the next firmware update. I sent one a few months ago.

EDIT: WPA Enterprise, 802.1x is the standard