Internet connected activity monitor and routers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Just been waiting ages for emails to come in, you know how you have the little tv icon in windows that shows if the internet is actually doing anything, downloading etc. Is there an equivalent on Mac. The AirPort icon is all I have and that doesn't move. I'm not in the same room as the router so don't know if it's flickering either.

Also....... Have a IP provided router and the signal/wireless is pretty lousy. Would buying a new router help this or will it give me the same service the existing one does. Always wondered why PC World is full of routers when anyone who signs up for Broadband gets a router sent for free, so have to assume there are better that you can switch it for?

2. Wheaty macrumors regular

Wheaty

Depending which browser you are using there is usually something spinning or twiddling if its loading a page or downloading something. Do you have the status bar turned on? that would give you a little more info.
    As for the "little Tv icon" I assume you mean the two little computers that flash when you network is busy? I dont think anything like that is already built into the mac, but there are loads of various add on tools that let you monitor just about everything.

For the moment, Activity Monitor will tell you how hard your network connection is working.

As for Routers... Most IP routers I have come across can be a bit poor. Its not always the routers fault, it can be that its had custom firmware updated which is buggy. There not usually the better ones either, just bought by ISP's for a good price.

What make & Model is the router? Give it a Google and you will soon find out if it may be the cause of your poor wireless/ flakey network issues.

Just to point out as well. All signals are subject to interference and degradation of some kind. Can you try your router in a different spot? Is it behind your TV along with a 100 other cables and gizmos? The router may be perfectly fine, it may be where it is, or what is between Mac and the router.

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeh, the browser shows activity with the blue line over the url yep, but the computer icon on Windows that lights up when something is working yep, that's the one, It would tell me if anything was going on when I was in Mail, sometimes I don't know if the incoming is working and wanted to see some movement net wise... like I used to be able to, or whether its just really slow.

It's a Sagem SKY job which only works if I'm in the room next door, one more room, on the other side downstairs and you've had it. My brother is on BT and has his 3 floors up and it works out in his garden and several floors away. I googled this and it says you break contract if you change the router, which makes me wonder if the IP is saying it breaks the contract to change it, there must be a hell of a lot of people out there breaking their contract, because there are so many out there to buy

4. Travtorn macrumors newbie

On this site, select mac (right) , select category (left)
    If you don't know it already.

By the way, I installed growl and hardware growl, it does notify me when things happen with my internet.

Here is a list of the options HG has for notifications:

[​IMG]

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Which site mate, nothing there.....?

6. Travtorn macrumors newbie

7. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

There is a free app in the Mac app store called DiskLED. You can set it to show disk, network activity and a few other things. To run it on startup, add it to your login items.

8. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

9. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

10. Travtorn macrumors newbie