Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tuned MP5T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
New York City
I have a cable connection which is connected to a route then to my Mac mini and a PC. What are the chances of sending a virus from my Mac mini to the PC and vice versa. I don't share any files, but I do tranfer music files between the two.

makisushi

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Northern VA
Tuned MP5T said:
I have a cable connection which is connected to a route then to my Mac mini and a PC. What are the chances of sending a virus from my Mac mini to the PC and vice versa. I don't share any files, but I do tranfer music files between the two.
There are so many variables, its hard to answer this question. Is it possible? Yes.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
Generally speaking, slim. PC viruses won't do anything on OS X. I'm willing to bet you're pretty safe, provided you have an antivirus configured and running on your PC.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm in the same boat so I got antivirus for both the Macs and the PC but looking back, it's kind of unnecessary. I'm pretty sure Norton does jack-all. :(

I know Macs are capable of carrying viruses to Windows without having them affect the Mac in any way, but I'm just taking the risk now. After two years of solid file transferring between the two platforms, I've only had the PC fall three times and there's really no way of telling if that was any fault of file transferring or just the internet.

Tuned MP5T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
New York City
I actually have Norton Corp. Edition on my PC as well as Zone Alarm Firewall. I don't have any anti-virus on my Mac but do have the Firewall turned on.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Viruses are typically transmitted via e-mail, so unless you're e-mailing between the two machines, the chances of a virus moving from one machine to the other are almost nil. Add to that the fact that a PC virus probably won't infect a Mac, and vice versa, and I'd say you're pretty safe.

The same is true for worms, which don't require e-mail... again, a worm that works on a PC isn't going to work on a Mac, and vice versa.

Just make sure that your router's firewall is running and configured properly, and make sure that your service packs are all up-to-date on both the Mac and the PC (I assume it's running Windows XP SP-2), and you should be cool.

Oh, and back up your data on a regular basis.

Tuned MP5T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
New York City
clayj said:
Viruses are typically transmitted via e-mail, so unless you're e-mailing between the two machines, the chances of a virus moving from one machine to the other are almost nil. Add to that the fact that a PC virus probably won't infect a Mac, and vice versa, and I'd say you're pretty safe.

The same is true for worms, which don't require e-mail... again, a worm that works on a PC isn't going to work on a Mac, and vice versa.

Just make sure that your router's firewall is running and configured properly, and make sure that your service packs are all up-to-date on both the Mac and the PC (I assume it's running Windows XP SP-2), and you should be cool.

Oh, and back up your data on a regular basis.
The router that I have is NAT, I believe. Yep everything is up to date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.