Internet connection, can ping,etc, but can't use firefox or safari?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dancks, Aug 6, 2013.

1. dancks macrumors member

dancks

When I try to open any of those 2 browsers it tells me that I am not connected to the internet. How; the network settings says there is no problem with the connection and I successfully tested the connection with ping and traceroute. I also noted that chrome works, I'm just curious why chrome would work and safari and firefox thinks I'm offline?

This is on a 10.6.8 on a iMac. I have limited information as to what caused this because its not my computer and it wasn't explained to me what occurred before the incident. what do safari and firefox do/don't that chrome does/doesn't?

(firefox is preferred in some respects due to the plugins available, especially the web to pdf plugin.)

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Did you change something recently or did this just start happening?

Does you Mac in System Preferences->Network pane, Advanced button and getting any DNS?

3. dancks thread starter macrumors member

dancks

if you mean are there DNS ip addresses listed, then yes, there were. I tried messing with locations but changed it all back as I didn't know what locations did or what they are for. Its usually set to automatic.