Internet Connection Confusion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by backtothefuture, Aug 14, 2010.

1. backtothefuture macrumors member

Hello all. I will try to make this brief and provide specifics.

I am having major problems connecting to the wireless internet in my building. Some days, I am able to connect, other days, not. My roomates are having no problem connecting. It is a password protected network, for which I have the password. I have been able to connect in the past.

What usually happens is, after not connecting, I am directed towards Network Diagnostics. I select AirPort, select the network I am supposed to be using, and so on until I get the last screen- "Network Diagnostics is unable to help you with this problem, etc..." As I'm working through this, Safari tries to load websites, but to no avail.

I have all "green lights" when going through Network Diagnostics, except for "Internet" and "Server", which are both red lights.

I've checked, and my firewall is off. It also appears that I am being assigned an ISP address.

I'm at Starbucks now, on their WiFi, so I dont believe its a problem with my computer.

I think this is all the relevent info I have- I'm a newbie, so if you have questions, make em easy on me.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Please ask if you need more info.
    Thank you.

2. BiggAW macrumors 68020

If rebooting and power cycling your Airport card doesn't work, and you have no wired option for connecting, then I'd contact the building owners for support- it sounds like a wifi issue more than an OSX issue.

If it is using WPA2 Enterprise, then try re-doing the configuration at least 5 times. I am seriously not kidding. It takes me like 5 times to get it working every time I re-configure my WPA2 Enterprise credentials to work at school, but then it will work for like a year before it causes problems again. Go figure.