Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Hi Guys, I get My broadband through a virgin superhub router. but the broadband pipe in the street is broken at the moment so no internet : (

But why does this mean that i cant stream from my imac to my atv 2. as the router isn't broken?

Im having to revert to my dvd back catalogue at the moment.

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Has the ATV been restarted? No internet shouldn't keep you from being able to stream from a local machine... Unless the ATV has lost power or been restarted since the internet was down.

When the ATV starts, it has to set time and date with the Apple Servers to allow it to stream from anywhere (something to do with Authorization or at least that's the error)... Anywho, the ATV can't reach the internet to do that, that may be why you're having an issue.

Are you getting an authorization error? Or is it something else?

BigAudio

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
I ran into the same thing a while back. It seems it needs to verify the homeshare ID via the internet, and playback wasn't possible with no internet. Not the same on the apple tv 1, since it is a device and syncs with the imac directly.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I'm very interested in this too. How often do Home Sharing devices need authorisation?

I had trouble with my ATV a couple of weeks ago, so turned Home Sharing off and on again to try and fix the problem. At the time, it appears the Apple authentication servers must have been down for a few hours, as none of my devices (ATV, iPad, iPhone, Macs) could activate Home Sharing.

It's very worrying if my 'home streaming' solution can be turned off at any point by Apple, or simply if there's a problem with my broadband connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.