internet connection flickers every 5 minutes when Xbox 360 is turned off

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JadeFox334, Apr 11, 2010.

1. JadeFox334 macrumors newbie

Gentlemen.

I present to you today a baffling conundrum which has been vexing me for months. around Christmas my sister got a huge raise and bonus, which resulted in a flurry of new technology rushing into the household. all at the same time we set up a new wireless router, (for our wireless modem) an Xbox 360 and SnowLeopard for my MacBook Pro.

This is where things get strange.

I noticed that late at night, after the Xbox had been turned off, my internet connection started getting strange. without the system acknowledging anything had happened (all 5 bars in the airport symbol, my AIM client still claimed i was connected) i would suddenly be unable to load anything (in any browser) or send or receive any IMs.

I would turn my airport off and immediately on again, then the problem would be solved. then, exactly five minutes later, it would happen again.

I've been able to connect this "funky-internet phenomenon" as i like to call it, to the Xbox being OFF. I am a walking detector for when the machine gets powered down. this ONLY HAPPENS WHEN THE XBOX IS OFF, and the second it is turned back on, my internet stops doing this.

and here's the kicker.... my computer is the only one this happens to.

my solution has been to keep the Xbox on 24-7, but this is not a good long-term solution.

any ideas? this seems impossible.

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I think that maybe your mac address is conflicting with the X-Box when it is off. Your mac is trying to take both address until the X-Box is back on and then it goes back to it's original one.

First suggestion: Take the Airport Extreme back to Apple and get another one, it might just be your router.
    Second: Your modem could be faulty, try and get another from your ISP.
    Third: Do a reset to your modem and router. Unplug both of them for 15-20 seconds. After that plug in the Router first until ALL lights turn on and it is acting normal except instead of a Green light (meaning you have internet) it will be orange (because modem isn't plugged in yet). Then Plug in your modem and when the green light comes on test your internet with the X-Box not plugged into the router. If all works well plug the X-Box back up into a different port than what it was previously in. If you have the Wireless attachement for the X-Box I suggest trading it for another one or taking it out and running the x-box with ethernet for a day or to just to see if you get any results.

Hope this helps.