Internet connection help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nocturnal dark, Jul 29, 2007.

1. nocturnal dark macrumors member

Ok, I am going to be buying a Macbook here soon. At first, I am going to be using dial up Internet then later once I move and get settled into a apt. I am going to try to get Cable or DSL Internet.

What would I need to get so I can use dial up first? Then what would I need to get for Cable or DSL?

If it's possible I would love to be able to have dial up without being connected to a wire, is that possible? Also can I do that with Cable or DSL too?

I am new to all this, I currently have a eMac that basically is hooked right up to Internet with a phone line (dial up). But, since I am going with a laptop I want to be able to be anywhere in my apt. Not just at a desk like I am now.

Make sense??:)

2. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

- To get dial-up on your Macbook you will need to get an Apple USB Modem from the online Apple store or instore.
    - You might be able to have wireless dial-up but it is a lot of hassle.
    - You wont need anything for Cable or DSL internet but if your DSL ISP gives you a USB modem for DSL then you will need to buy a DSL Modem or a wireless router with a DSL Modem built in or if you have Cable internet you just need a normal ethernet wireless router and the modem your Cable ISP gives you.

If you have anymore questions or things I've missed PM me.

3. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

If you really want to use the MacBook anywhere in the house until your DSL comes, you can set up the eMac as a "wireless hub" to share the internet, as long as it has AirPort.

Click on System Preferences --> Sharing --> Internet (Its a tab, click that), then select "share internet connection from" and select "Internal Modem", then under "To Computers using" check the box next to airport.

Your eMac is now a wireless router, and you can enable file sharing and have wireless dialup, as long as your eMac is connected. I don't know how it will affect the speed... but it should be good for IM at least! I've only shared a DSL connection this way, and it didn't seem like there was a loss of speed.