Internet connection HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SCOR, Nov 28, 2007.

1. SCOR macrumors newbie

Just got my first Mac - a MacBook Pro. I can't connect to the internet on my home network.

I have tried to connect wirelessly through my Netgear wireless router (went through all the WEP encryption password troubleshooting and even tried the $ sign - to no avail. I also disabled the encryption and it still would not connect, even though it could detect the network)

I then tried to connect directly to my DSL modem through an Ethernet cable - that did not work either.

The weird thing is that my desktop and laptop PCs work wirelessly and through Ethernet on my home network.

Even more weird - my MacBook Pro will connect to my neighbor's wireless network no problem.

Any ideas?

Is is possible that my DSL modem is not compatible with my Mac?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like you have one of those Internet Service Providers (ISPs) that require every computer connected to its network be authenticated in some way. Did you run some sort of setup program on the PCs to get them connected? If you did, I'm almost certain that the cause is either what I mentioned above, or customized network settings that you'll need to enter manually.

3. SCOR thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not run any special setup. My ISP is Yahoo/ATT/SBC or whatever they are calling themselves these days.

I went through all the network settings and cannot see anything out of the ordinary. Very weird.

4. ataboc macrumors 6502

i just got a macbook on monday and was having the same problem connecting to my lincsys. all i had to do was update the firmware on the router! now it works just fine!

5. candychunk macrumors member

i have the same problem as SCOR and same dsl provider... my router's called 2wire

how do you update the firmware on the router? my router's site dont have anything like that (i cant find it)... and i just got that router this august, so im guessing its updated? idk, please help us

6. SCOR thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you tried hooking up directly to the modem via ethernet cable? It does not work for me, curious if it works for you?

7. candychunk macrumors member

yeah, that's how i surf the net now.. connected thru ethernet cable :( ... airport used to work, like 2 weeks after i got it (i purchased it the day after they updated to santa rosa), then after that... nothing, it just assigned itself an IP w/c wont work anymore