Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
This first began two nights ago. Here's the deal... we have Comcast High Speed Internet for our connection. All is well one night and then suddenly our connection becomes unbearably slow. I'm talking 56k-like speeds. We are using two Linksys routers (one for our Internet connection and the other for our Vonage service) and one Motorola SURFboard modem. Computers constantly connected to the network are as follows:

iMac G5 (primary computer in home office, Ethernet)
PowerBook G4 (mine of which I am on now, Wi-Fi)
Windows computer (mine also, Wi-Fi)
Dell computer (parents' computer, Wi-Fi)

All was fine until two nights ago, like I said. The only solution my dad and I have figured out is if we shut down the routers and reset the cable modem, the connection goes back to normal speeds, but only for a little while. Sometimes it may be for ten seconds and other times for five minutes. I don't think it is a problem on Comcast's part. Maybe it could be the router of which we use for Internet connectivity? Like I said, after resetting the routers and modem, all is fine again but only for a little while. Then everything slows down again.

We haven't changed anything network-related recently, so that cannot be the problem. Any ideas on how to fix this? Maybe try a new router? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

danzevl

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2006
this is a simple fix i found it in the same situation

just connect your modem to your computer without the router, after the computer is working with a hard connection connect the router and it should work fine

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
mad jew said:
Also, turn off any file sharing apps if applicable. They can wreck a network pretty badly sometimes. :(

Yeah I just shut off all my file sharing stuff, and it is unbelievable how much faster pages load. Not kidding. Before... i would click a link, even a link that I know is in my cache, and it would sit... sit .... sit... then go. Now, its right away.

Thanks for that very useful tip :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
No worries. So it's all good now? :)

If you have to use file sharing apps then check the preferences to see if you can limit the upload and download. On ADSL, most people limit the download but forget to limit the upload and consequently end up with slow browser response times, without knowing why. Both should be limited to ensure your browser gets enough bandwidth. :)

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
I had similar problems with my connection a while back and the blame was laid squarely at the ISP.

Have you called them to see if they have made any changes recently? As the other guys have pointed out, P2P applications can have you effectively blacklisted on some ISPs, especially now with lots of them introducing traffic shaping and fair usage polices - even on "uncapped" tariffs.

They might also be going through technical problems if they're upgrading their networks to faster speeds which a lot of companies are doing.

If your getting fast speeds for a few minutes when you reboot, it could well be the network as opposed to the router. A duff splitter may also be to blame but it's unlikely.

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
mad jew said:
No worries. So it's all good now? :)

If you have to use file sharing apps then check the preferences to see if you can limit the upload and download. On ADSL, most people limit the download but forget to limit the upload and consequently end up with slow browser response times, without knowing why. Both should be limited to ensure your browser gets enough bandwidth. :)

I wasnt even using a file sharing app, it was the file sharing and windows sharing in system prefs. And seriously its like I just moved from dsl to cable internet.... thats how big of a difference it made. I am one happy guy right now. Thanks

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Butler Trumpet said:
I wasnt even using a file sharing app, it was the file sharing and windows sharing in system prefs. And seriously its like I just moved from dsl to cable internet.... thats how big of a difference it made. I am one happy guy right now. Thanks

I wonder if that was the problem for the OP though?

*did someone say thread hijack..;)*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.