Internet connection is horrible

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by maddog91, Apr 5, 2012.

1. maddog91 macrumors regular

There are 2 macs in my house, both have horrible internet speeds and constantly getting errors connecting to sites like Facebook. We get re-directed to othe rites when trying to go to the sites. We have to reset safari and wifi eveyrtime to make the issue go away. Meanwhile my friends PC never has issues or connectivity problems..

Thoughts? help? What setting should I adjust

2. TEG, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012

TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The first thing to do is contact your ISP. The second is to make sure all of your DNS settings are correct for your comptuers, which usually means removing anything that is in black in the DNS settings, and rely on just the greyed out numbers.

Once that is finished, see if everything is working correctly, if not, there are some more advanced things that can be checked.

3. maddog91 thread starter macrumors regular

Already got the ISP provider here. they said everything is perfect. What do I do now? Mind walking me step by step. Thanks

4. maddog91, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012

maddog91 thread starter macrumors regular

Ill go to Facebook and it re-directs me to sites like this

[​IMG]

this one and then random others constantly.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The first thing to do is repair permissions on the computers.
    Then, open Terminal, and type "dscacheutil -flushcache" (without quotes).
    Then open System Preferences, then Network, then WiFi/Airport, the click Advanced. Click on DNS, and make sure the DNS entries on both sides are in grey only, if there are any in Black, remove them. The click OK, close system preferences, then restart the computer, and see if that helps.

TEG

6. maddog91 thread starter macrumors regular

Still just as bad if not worse :/...Has long load times and sometime won't load the entire page, it will just put "?" in pictures and even adds won't load.

7. carlgo macrumors 68000

I ran some of those easy free on-line speed tests and presented them to my ISP. I wasn't getting near the speeds I was paying for and that is an issue they cannot legitimately dodge. They "cleared out" some sort of accumulation of something at their end and now it is the best our phone company's system can support.

Some ISPs really do not support Apple products that well and often there is nobody in the building who really know more than a what is on a trouble-shooting script. In other words, you might check out another ISP if that is possible.

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The next step is to contact the ISP again, as there is obviously something wrong with their systems. You could also try some of the alternate DNS entries like

Enter those into the DNS fields in your Airport/WiFi settings, and see if that helps at all.

TEG

9. maddog91 thread starter macrumors regular

Just like that? no 192.168 ect?

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Exactly, they are already 4 octets, so there is nothing more needed.

TEG

11. lukekarts macrumors regular

It looks like you've got a browser hijacker or something if it is redirecting you to other websites.

I have no idea how you fix that on a MBA to be honest, I'm sure someone can help though.