Internet connection issue, please help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flight24, Apr 16, 2011.

1. flight24 macrumors newbie

So this is my first apple product and so far my 13' MBP has been awesome until recently. I'm having some serious difficulties connecting to the internet via wifi (Airport). To be more specific sometimes after browsing the net for hours or few minutes, the internet will just drop or become extremely slow (like dial-up speed). And after a few more minutes, I'll get an exclamation mark on the airport icon (meaning I'm connected to the network, but doesn't have an IP). Sometimes, the internet will just drop and lose its connection completely. Usually when I'm having these issues, I reset my router and toggle the airport on/off, and most of the time it will fix the issue, but lately it hasn't. Sometimes it will just connected to the internet "magically" after few minutes or hours.

I have taken it to a Genius bar few weeks ago, and he thinks it might be a software issue. So he deleted some stuff from the Mac HD (can't remember the exact location). Basically he removed all of my network preferences (passwords, etc). So after a day or so, the problem came back. I got super frustrated since it wasn't even connecting to the network anymore, so I did a completely clean install of the OS (something that the Genius Bar rep told me to do if the problem persisted).

Anyways, now after the clean install I still have the issues. BTW, I don't think it's my router because my other wifi capable gadgets (phone, other laptops, but they are all windows) are able to flawlessly connect to my linksys router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's still under the 1 year warranty, so I can take it back to the Genius Bar though it's quite a hassle because of my schedule/location.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. flight24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a linksys router WRT310n.

5. flight24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I don't understand. Not completely illiterate, but not extremely savvy either especially with the Mac OSX.

Thanks for the help! Do you think it's a hardware issue?

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

7. flight24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it's running the latest firmware software. Do you think it could be the router when my other laptop (though windows) doesn't have this issue? When my MBP drops the connection, I will go and check my other laptop and it's runs fine.

The only thing at this point that would make sense is a hardware issue or maybe mac OS to linksys router specific issue.

8. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

Torrent Programs?

are you running any torrent programs? The amount of connections could be stressing the router and slowing everything down...

9. flight24 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I did use Utorrent in the past. But this issue has persisted even when I'm trying to causally browsing the internet (usually will just have firefox or safari open) without anything running in the background.

10. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

This comes from the Cisco Home Community Forums:

Also, you might want to try WPA-Personal in the wireless security settings rather than WPA2-Personal.

Changing the wireless channel may also help.

All guesses really. Hopefully one of them fixes it.

11. flight24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did exactly that few days ago, hasn't helped unfortunately. I will try to do those other modification that you posted. Thanks

12. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Who is your ISP, and what happens if you connect via Ethernet turning your airport off?

13. flight24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have Time Warner Cable internet (8 down, 1 up). It works via the Ethernet when it's not working thru Airport.

14. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Well, if you've got all the updates installed for your mac it would seem to be isolated to the wifi card in your mac. If you have Bootcamp setup you might want to boot into Windows for a while and see if you can reproduce the problem. If so, the pinpoints the wifi hardware or it could theoretically be an issue with your logic board.

If you boot into Windows and the problem doesn't reappear than you've likely got a software with your Mac OS X setup. You might want to use Time Machine to rewind the clock to a time when you didn't have problems. Or just reinstall the OS and don't worry about.

15. flight24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have bootcamp, so I can't check with windows. But I did a completely reinstall (clean install by wiping out the previous HDD), but the problem persists.