Internet connection issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JzzTrump22, Sep 13, 2010.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I'm having a small issue with connecting my laptop to the internet via wired connection. Every time i plug the ethernet in it says i have a cennection with a self assigned iP address bu may not be abl to connect. However, when my friend plugs the same wire into his hp latop it picks up the internet instantly with no issues. Anyone know what is going on in my computer? I'm on 10.4.11

2. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

The problem is your self assigned IP. Your router(or ISP if you don't have a router) should assign an IP to you. Disconnect your ethernet, Open System Preferences>Network and click on 'Built in Ethernet' Clear out any IP addresses that are stored there and change the drop down that says 'Configure' to 'Using DHCP'. Plug in your ethernet and let it pull its own IP, you should be good. Let me know how it goes and if you have problems hit me up on AIM or something. I work for an ISP and do this all day in customers homes.

3. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the response. I did what you said and I still have the same status. Still wont let me connect for some reason. I cleared all locations and selected DHCP.

4. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

While connect to the ethernet try System Preferences>Network>Built-in Ethernet>Advanced>Renew DHCP Lease

5. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yea I had tried that as well. I really have no clue why its doing this, but it's really annoying.

6. iVoid macrumors 65816

On some cable modems, you have to reset the modem to get a IP address in cases like this. Look on the back for a 'reset' button of some kind. You can also try power cycling the cable modem.

7. bandazs macrumors newbie

hey!

i have a similar problem, maybe you guys have some ideas what can be wrong.

i am trying to connect my macbook via LAN-cable to the internet. i plug in the cable in the ethernet port and it connects without problem. in system preferences it says: ethernet is currently active and has the IP adress still i cannot open any browser.

with a PC I can connect without problem to the internet.

the router is an old netgear machine, and unfortunately has no WIFI option. so I have to use the cable.

other computers could earlier connect to the internet without problem, so i dont think that there would be problem with the MAC Adress. i have parallel desktop on my mac, so i tried to connect via WIN XP as well, but nothing with that either.

what can be wrong?