Internet connection keeps dropping - using airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by torndownunit, Mar 16, 2009.

1. torndownunit macrumors regular

I have just recently started having this problem. It seems when the computer sits idle, the connection drops. I don't see my network in the dropdown menu. I open airport utility, and the extreme base station does not show up. I find I have to unplug it, or do an actual reset on it to get it to show up.

I try resetting the cable modem as well, but I have never had issue with the internet connection itself here before. I try restarting the computer. When it does come back online/show up in AIrport Utility, it seems kind of random because it will take a few attempts at all 3 methods mentioned before it just suddenly appears in Airport Utility. So I really have no idea what is helping. The process is a pain in the butt though.

I have searched around, but I can't find many current articles on the problem.

The only other info I can offer is that I never had any problems until I installed the last Airport Utility update. I am running 10.5.6. The problem doesn't seem to happen while I am working, and online frequently.

I don't even know where to start trouble shooting. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I have been having a problem similar to that for at minimum a year. Every time the phone rings the internet will drop immediately and the light will start flashing orange on my Airport extreme after about 8 seconds. Then it will start working again a minute later. Sometimes the internet will even drop when the phone doesn't even ring. I have called AT&T 3 times about this problem and yet no solution. By any chance, do you have AT&T also?

Let me know if any of you have had a problem similar to this or have any solutions. Thanks!

3. torndownunit thread starter macrumors regular

I have Rogers (Canada). They updated the modem awhile ago, but I didn't have any problem immediately after that. My connection had always been bullet-proof in fact. The only thing I can think that I changed was that Airport Utility update a couple of weeks ago.

4. LeoFio macrumors regular

There have been known issues with the latest firmware update. Revert back to 7.3.2 if you are running 7.4.1 by going to Basestation>>Upload Firmware in Airport Utility

5. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Try changing your airport wireless channel. If you have it on automatic, change it to channel 10 which is a less used channel. You may be experiencing a lot of wireless chatter that's causing a problem.

6. torndownunit thread starter macrumors regular

I gave this tip a shot first. My connection stayed on all last night without dropping. Which it has not done in the past 3 evenings.

Thanks

7. mbalson macrumors member

mbalson

I was having the same problem since updating to 7.4.1, going back to 7.3.2 now.

8. torndownunit thread starter macrumors regular

My connection still hasn't gone down at all since reverting to the older version of the firmware. So it's safe to say that firmware update was the problem.

9. torndownunit thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I thought the problems were fixed but now I am having worse issues then ever.

The base station shows up in Airport Utility, but every time I try to configure it I get errors. I have tried resetting it multiple times with no luck.