Internet Connection Keeps Dropping

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by laughingbabe16, Aug 12, 2009.

1. laughingbabe16 macrumors member

Hi Everyone!

I know there are a lot of similar threads all around different forums, but nothing really helped and I was hoping some of you smart ladies/guys can help solve this issue once and for all.

Here's the deal:

My main desktop computer (Compaq windows XP computer) is set-up upstairs where the cable router and linksys wireless router are placed (which is right next to the desktop on the desk). My Macbook (running Tiger and is 3 years old) and iMac (running Leopard and is not even 1 year old yet) are set-up downstairs in my new office. This room is in the basement, however the room is almost directly above the main office where the wired desktop computer resides.

Prior to setting up my office downstairs, my sister lived with my family in the basement and had her windows Vista laptop set-up without any internet connection issues. Her internet never dropped on her laptop, and neither did the connection on her wireless all-in-one printer/scanner/copier. Cell phone reception/internet connection in the basement is also great.

When I set up my iMac and Macbook however a few weeks ago, the internet keeps dropping connection! I do not understand this when my sister had no problems at all with her laptop getting internet connection, when she was living with us. The internet connection will stay good for either 10-30 minutes and then drop, or it could be good for up to an hour and then drop.

What do you think the issue could be?

Also: Would purchasing an Apple Express help extend the wireless connection in the basement area? I know there is information via apple on how to set this up, but is it easy? How do I do it?

THANKS!!

2. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Are you talking about bad signal strength or slow/non existent internet?

3. laughingbabe16 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry - no, I have full internet connectivity in the basement (all bars). The thing is that every 20 or so minutes the internet just disconnects for a few minutes, at which point I need to reselect my connection on either the iMac or Macbook. Internet dropping/disconnecting never happened on my sisters vista laptop so I don't know why it's happening on my macs.

4. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Isnt a wifi issue, then. When this happens, does the desktop lose internet too? Or does the laptop "forget" the wifi? Also, if you ever do have range issues, you can run a wire to the imac, which can serve as a base station (google it). And jst curious, but how is a basement room above the main office?

5. laughingbabe16 thread starter macrumors member

The PC desktop upstairs does not "lose" connectivity, nope.

And, ah - I meant that the main office is over the basement room. LOL.

So, what is the fix? Why is this happening to my macs and did not ever happen to my sisters vista laptop?

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Did this happen after the 10.5.8 update or are you still running an older version? I just noticed a Macbook doing this after the update and have seen a few threads pop up on this issue. So I am wondering if there is a bug in the update.

7. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

If your wifi is password protected, you should check your keychain/system prefs to make sure it is set so it can automatically connect to known networks. Also make sure you don't have a setting on in energy saver prefs that turns off the wifi.

8. laughingbabe16 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, my internet connection is password protected, but the password is already saved in the computer and automatically connects to the internet when the computer gets turned on. The issue is that when I'm surfing the internet on either the iMac or the Macbook, the connection will just disconnect. I have to wait a few seconds (30 seconds at least) to up to 2 minutes for it to re-connect.

I just updated my iMac with software updates last night, but I believe this is pre-update 10.5.8. The connection never dropped/disconnected when the iMac was in the same room as the router, etc. so I'm really wondering if the signal strength from the airport is not strong enough to keep the connection (?)

Also: No one has answered my question about the Apple Express. Will this help to extend my wireless range, if I put one of these in the room where my iMac/Macbook reside?

Thanks