Internet Connection Not Working Anymore: Macbook. Please Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by candychunk, Nov 19, 2007.

1. candychunk macrumors member

My internet connection last night was slow, then I kept losing the connection. I tried connecting back, but as I did, I think I changed something in the setting, I dont know what I did. Now the airport icon says im connected by when i try to open any web browser, it wont connect. It says im not connected. When I go to system preferences > network; status is on, under it says "AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet."
    ... i think it has something to do with DHCP? i really dont know...

How can I revert to the default setting? Should I use the provided CD? (my macbook's a little over than 2 weeks)...

I have DSL, linksys, att yahoo

can anyone PLEASE HELP!!! i need the internet for my homework (im using a desktop right now)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

That has happened to me, I think but I reset the router and it worked.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

5. candychunk thread starter macrumors member

by resetting, you mean? just unplug it? or do the installiation again?

should i unplug it first then reset? or reset then unplug? coz i did both at different times and didnt work... could you tell me exactly how you did? :confused:

also, does this always happen to macs? coz i dont really enjoy reinstalling the router to our main computer :(

thanks, really appreciate it

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I mean that all you have to do is take the power from the router for thirty seconds to a minute, and then plug it back in. If this works, then it's not a Mac problem so much as a router one. :)

7. candychunk thread starter macrumors member

i tried it but didnt work... now im connected through an ethernet cable... so thats how im using my macbook these past few days :(

i read somewhere to use that ethernet connection and use the IP # and/or change some digits... i think the last 2 digits? so basically, just pick an IP manually... i tried it a couple of times but didnt work... what exactly do i have to change in the IP? how about the subnet mask? router?

this sucks :mad: