Internet connection problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jorisp, Sep 22, 2011.

1. jorisp macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I bought an iMac 21,5" 2,5 Ghz (spring 2011 model) recently, with Lion preinstalled. Great machine, however I just can't seem to get an internet connection. Wireless was verrrryyy slow or not working at all from te beginning. A physical connection (ethernet) worked for a few day's, but one morning it just stopped working.

Called Apple Support, tried lots of things, no luck. Took it back to the store, where the internet connection worked perfectly (both wifi and ethernet). At home, my iPad and my girlfriends' Macbook Air have no problem at all connecting to the internet. The iMac just doesn't. No wifi or ethernet, although it says there is a connection.

My setup: Modem/router from my internet provider with one cable directly to the iMac and one cable to a second (older) modem/router for better wifi signal. The iPad and Macbook Air are on this second router. I tried connecting the iMac by cable with this second router, but still nothing.

It must be a settings problem, because my other devices do make connection and the iMac works fine in the store. Who had an idea?

Thanks in advance,
    Joris

2. darster Suspended

Question, did you power your modem and router completely off by unplugging them both? If not, go into preferences. network on imac and delete the wireless network listed. Shut down your imac. Power off modem and router by unplugging them. let sit for few minutes. Power up your modem. Wait a minute or two and then power up your wifi router. Then power up your imac and add the wifi network again.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This Could Also Be

As simple as a duff Ethernet cable......try a different one and see if you can connect.

Routers supplied by ips's are truly awful.....I use Draytek stuff myself and have no connection issues at all. iMac, iPhone iPad and soon my new MacBook air will all connect just fine.

4. jorisp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but it still doesn't work. No ethernet, no wifi ...

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Can you ping the router? Maybe DNS is messed up? What is your router IP?
    What is the IP it is giving your iMac or is it static IP? Is it the same range?
    Re-boot holding down the p-r-opt-cmmd for 3 boot chimes and release.
    Can you admin the router through your browser etc.?

6. jorisp thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry Derbothaus, you kinda lost me here as I'm not that technical. How can I ping the router?

What I do notice is that there must be some kind of dominance battle between the two modem/routers: sometimes my ipad loses connection too (when waking for sleep mode). When I go to the wifi settings I see that the search domain is different, after renewing the release for a few times, I get the right settings again and I'm back online.

I tried to use these settings on the imac, without succes. And it's so strange that the ethernet connection stopped working from one day to another, even if it says 'connected'.

7. MacHamster68, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

Its just a matter of plugging the Mac in and off ya go online or searching your wireless network and just connect to it , cant be easier , and if it doesnt work then likely either your router is faulty /not setup proper or your iMac , so try to connect to your router with any other computer (not the iPad because no ethernet)you can find in your neighbourhood or from friends , if it connects proper ,then the culprit is the iMac, iMac's are notorious for wifi problems ,many threads here about it, but ethernet should just work if your router is working proper and your ethernet cable is not faulty

8. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Sounds like your router is screwy with giving you a DHCP address. I would unplug the power from the router, wait 1 min and plug it back in. If that does not work you may have to setup a static IP. Do an online search for how to do this with your model router.

9. 28Gauge macrumors 6502

28Gauge

What type of internet service do you have? I had DSL up until last week and the ISP provider's modem was quite finicky. I had to reset the modem (unplug/re-plug) at least once a month in order to resolve connection issues.

10. jorisp thread starter macrumors newbie

It's DSL yes. I added a sketch of my setup, this should be more clear. I'll try some more stuff later today. I activated UPnP on my providers' modem, maybe that helps.

Attached Files:

11. Texran macrumors regular

Are you trying to connect two modems on one line

12. jorisp thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes.

I removed the second router today, ethernet connection is working now (still no wifi on the imac though). Wifi on the MB Air and Ipad works, but too slow because of the bad signal.

I did some research and should be albe to connect the second router by utp to make it work in 'bridge' mode. Some questions:

When setting up the router (brand: SMC) I can choose between bridge / bridge dhcp / bridge static. What do I choose? NOT the DHCP I presume?

When I choose static, I have to give an IP, this should be in the range of the first modem I think?

13. jorisp thread starter macrumors newbie

14. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Yes but not in the DHCP range. You need to carve out a few address' that are outside of the distributed range. So if DHCP is giving out 192.168.0.2- 192.168.0.200, you can use x.x.x.201-254 for static address.