internet connection problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicoleasks, Nov 18, 2011.

1. nicoleasks macrumors newbie

Yesterday I was disconnected from the internet and a message window popped up saying another device was trying to connect to the network from my IP. It said to contact my network provider, and if it happens again I will (is that my internet service provider?) - Why did this happen? (My other computer was connected to the internet with no problems at the time. This morning everything's back to normal.) Thanks!!

2. trikky macrumors regular

Er...gee...maybe it's because another device was trying to connection to your network from the same IP? :D

Since we've already confirmed you have two devices at least on your network, check your TCP/IP settings, because that's where your problem is...something you would have already done by now because you did contact your network provider as suggested by the message you quoted, right?:eek:

3. nicoleasks thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't contacted anyone - like I said, I would if it happened again, but it hasn't happened again.

And I'm still wondering: is my network provider the same as my internet service provider?

I don't understand how another device could share an IP address with my computer. I thought IP addresses were unique.

I don't even know what device this would be. It isn't my other computer, and I don't have anything else that would have been trying to connect to the internet at that time.

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

IP addresses need to be unique on a network, yes.

Most people leave it to their router to assign IP addresses. If this is the case, in System Prefs > Network > (select type of network in use, i.e. Wi-Fi) > Advanced > TCP/IP will say "Using DHCP" under "Configure IPv4".

Problems can happen if TCP/IP has been configured manually, causing the device to try and use an IP that might already be in use on the network.

If all your devices are set to use DHCP you should be fine.

If you don't get the message again you probably don't need to worry.

5. nicoleasks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, miniConvert, for your information and reassurance :)

I followed your steps on my mac and indeed it's set to use DHCP, but how do I know if "all my devices" are too? What ARE these devices, anyway? I don't have anything that connects to the internet, aside from the laptops.

Could this have something to do with my neighbours in close proximity and their device settings? Could it have to do with a virus or hacking or something? Could it really just be a computer error?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. The chances of an average Mac user being hacked is ridiculously remote, and there are no Mac OS X viruses in the wild. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.