Internet Connection Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by musicwind95, Aug 13, 2008.

1. musicwind95 macrumors newbie

From: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1661369&tstart=0

Today I was looking around on the internet for an internet speed booster program, because my cable internet is really slow. I googled "Internet Acclerator for Mac" and used on of the first ones that came up. I don't remember which one because I deleted it. It asked for a username and password, but I didn't have one because it was cable, and was always on. So I decided to delete it because it was a waste of space. I dragged it to the trash and when I went to empty the trash, it told me that some network connectivity utility was running. Let me back up a bit: When I installed the program, I discovered that safari could no longer load a web page: it tells me that it could not find the server. But the wireless connection was still at maximum, so I knew I wasn't disconnected. I thought it might've been the program, and that's another reason why I deleted it. I stopped the process in Activity Monitor, and the app deleted successfully. The problem in Safari persisted. However, using the copy of Windows XP on Boot Camp and VMWare Fusion, I launched Firefox, which worked fine and so is letting me type this. When I opened the iTunes store in iTunes, it told me something along the lines of "iTunes could not connect to the iTunes store. The connection was refused. The network diagnostics utility in Leopard told me that everything was fine. What's the cause, what's the solution?

UPDATE: New approach: How do you launch a new process in Activity Monitor? Specifically I need to restart a process called "NetworkConnectivity..." (I don't remember the exact name. That is the first part.) I had to deactivate it to get rid of a program, so I stopped it in Activity Monitor, and after rebooting it still didn't appear. Can I restart it directly in Activity Monitor? My computer is less than a week old so I haven't had time to use Time Machine yet.

By the way, I got the program from this site: http://www.start.ca/support/setup-swa-macos.php

Hope it helps

2. kolax macrumors G3

You won't be able to speed up your cable if you are reaching bandwidth limits. Also, cable internet is notorious for slowdowns during peak times.

Check the application you used (which sounds dodgy, although I haven't checked the link) hasn't modified the Network settings in System Preferences. Go to AirPort, then Advanced and Proxies.