Internet connection sharing with Xbox 360

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adder7712, Nov 28, 2010.

1. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

Since it's possible to use a Mac as a wireless access point. I want to share my Ethernet connection through WiFi (not vice-versa), can I connect my Xbox 360 easily with that network or I have to painfully change the settings?

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Have you tried it? Go try it first, and you'll see that it's really easy. Now, if you need help with the steps of actually sharing your ethernet connection via WiFi, we can help with that.

3. adder7712 thread starter macrumors 68000

adder7712

I did but it didn't pass the connection test.

I've also tried connecting to the network set up by the laptop through my phone, but my phone failed to connect to it.

Guess I could give it another go.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Hmmm, OK. Then something is a bit wonky with how you're setting it up. What version of Mac OS are you using?

I've successfully shared internet through AirPort on my PowerBook from an external USB WiFi card, so we should be able to make this work.

EDIT: Assuming it's 10.6 as in your sig, here's a quick run-through of the steps:

- Go to System Preferences
    - Go to Sharing
    - Click on Internet Sharing, and turn it off if it's on
    - Make sure the "Share From" menu has selected Ethernet, and the ethernet is plugged in
    - Check the AirPort box
    - Under AirPort Options, make sure encryption is disabled (it's actually a good idea to have it on, but until we get it working you want to make sure that we know what exactly is causing the issue)
    - Click the check box next to Internet Sharing on the left.

You should be good to go at this point. Let us know what happens.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

6. LinusR macrumors regular

LinusR

I would like to participate, I have this problem as well.

I did everything how you said. Then I experimented a little bit and now I have a direct connection between Xbox and access point (in our case the Mac) but no connection to the internet.

I did it like this:

1) I created a network with enabled internet sharing (from Ethernet, connect to computers with airport)

2) Now I went to the network preference pane and clicked on Airport. There I wrote down the iP (ipv4) address and the Subnet mask. Therefor I clicked on the advanced button.

3) Now I went to my Xbox and let it search for new wireless networks. There I chose my created one and changed the network preferences like this:

a) I chose an ip address. I used the same as the one in my iMac
    but I raised the last number in the address by one.
    Example: iMac: 169.254.8.88
    Xbox: 169.254.8.89

b) I set the subnet mask to the mask in my iMac airport preferences
    Example: iMac: 255.255.0.0
    Xbox: 255.255.0.0

c) As gateway I used the ip address of my iMac airport

I am this far. I don't know what to insert as dns server?
    Where do I have to insert the ip address of the ethernet connection and/or the router?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Linus