Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I have ADSL Internet service (1024/200, but I´m not sure what those numbers mean) and a wireless connection. Until a few weeks ago, the connection was very fast - almost no waiting at all when clicking on links or bookmarks. But now, I can wait anywhere from 15 - 60 seconds, almost every time I click on something. Same situation when using Safari and Camino, but mail is still fast (comes in fast, and goes out fast when sending).

I´ve done a free speed check I found on the net, and according to that I have 930 KB/sec, a 1 MB file downloaded in 8.6 seconds, and storage is 119.8 Kb / sec. Do those numbers make sense in relation to my connction´s speed?

I´ve mailed my ISP and asked if something was done incorrectly when I recently upgraded connection speed, but they don´t answer. I´m bugging them until I get an answer, but in the meantime - is there something that I can have messed up in the Internet or Airport preferences?

I used the net connection in someone else´s house yesterday, and it went much faster - they said they had the same service and speed that I do. So I´m starting to think it must be something in my prefs.

You can see my computer´s specs from my signature.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
When this happens to me I restart my Airport base station and all is well again.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
jimsowden said:
Close Azureus. :D

What's Azureus?? Where do I find it, is it an app? :confused:

I'll try shutting down and starting up my wireless modem (don't have a Mac Airport base), and see if that helps. But the weird thing is that my husband (XP) and son (SuSe) don't seem to think the connection speed has slowed down. That's why I thought it might be a setting I've screwed up somehow. I've had to mess around a bit to get the wireless network at the local library to work for me, and thought I might have done something that affected my home network. When I check at home, the signal is strong (all the green blobs are filled up on the meter), but of course that doesn't tell me how fast the connection is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.