Internet connection working properly but can't access internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tehuberc, Nov 14, 2010.

1. tehuberc macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro is connecting perfectly to my apartment's internet, but for some reason no websites seem to load. I've tried using Safari, Firefox and Chrome and none of them have worked for me. When I clicked "assist me" it said that my internet seems to be working properly, but when I tried pinging google.com the response was "4 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss". Ethernet is working perfectly however and wifi is working on my iPhone and on my roommate's computer. WiFi is working perfectly at the library as well, so I'm not sure if it's a problem with my computer or with the network.

Anyone have any ideas at all?

2. finnschi macrumors 6502

Seems like a DNS problem.. when you ping google.com , is the DNS resolving a ip?

if not try changing your dns to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 (google public DNS)

also try to ping your roomates Laptop if you are using the same WiFi, you should be able to get a response even with wrong DNS settings.

Obviously check if all your settings are correct , I dont know if you need a manual IP or if you have a DHCP server... some apartments also have a mac adress filter ...