Internet connections - Looking for networks issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Littleboo, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Littleboo macrumors regular

When I upgraded my mac, I began having issues with internet connection. It keeps going on and off. I can look up at the status in the top bar and it says "looking for networks". I blamed it on my ISP but after I switched providers, it still is doing it. So, now I am wondering if it is an issue with my upgrade. Any thoughts are appreciated :)

2. mwhities macrumors 6502a

How did you "upgrade" your Mac? DIY or bought a new/used one?

More info please.

3. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Assuming you are connected using wireless: Is it possible for you to use an ethernet cable directly to your router? I have found direct wired to be the most reliable connections. We use wired connections exclusively for iMacs, printers, network drives for that reason. It obviously is not appropriate for laptops.

On my MacBook Air... I was having problems where my machine would not reconnect to the wireless network when resuming from sleep, with the symptoms that you have described. Shutting off the network and re-enabling it would fix the problem until the next time it went to sleep. I then read there was an issue when bluetooth was enabled. I disabled bluetooth and the problem went away. I have not re-tested as I seldom use BT with my MBA. Obviously, disabling BT is not an option if your iMac has a BT Keyboard, Mouse, or trackpad.

/Jim

5. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you Jim

I cannot connect through ethernet since my modem is on another computer. but I may try and reconnect every morning after I wake up the computer. I may also try disabling the blue tooth, but I have a mouse on it and will need to replace it.

thanks for your suggestions.

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

If you have your modem directly connected to another computer... you should get yourself a router to use in between. It is a security risk to directly connect your modem to a computer.

Once you get a router, then most have multiple ethernet jacks in the back with a built in switch. You can use one of them to connect to your iMac if it is possible to run a wire between the two.

/Jim