Internet Connectivity for Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by legaleagle91, Mar 6, 2011.

1. legaleagle91 macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook pro that I purchased about 3 years ago. Out of the box the internet worked fine with our home wireless router and my wife and I were able each be on our mac laptops at the same time. Recently I had an issue where the screen on the Macbook went blank but I could hear the machine running. I took it to a knowledge bar and they fixed it for free because apparently the video cards for macbooks built between 2007-2008 were failing. Once I got it back the internet would not work on the laptop. The wireless signal indicator shows full signal but when I try to go to a webpage I get the "You are not connected to the Internet" message.

I have tried setting up my network preferences to match those on my wife's macbook which is currently working. When I go under Advanced to the TCP/IP section, I copy the IPv4 Address from the wife's laptop and use it for mine. BUt then I get the message that I cant use that address because it is already in use. Can someone tell me how to fix the connection issue so both laptops can be used at the same time?

2. Martyimac, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

Not an expert here but I remember having a similar problem a while back...
    The thing that worked for me was to delete my profile/settings for the network, then restart. After that, go in and rejoin your network using all brand new entries. And no, you cannot use the same iPv4 address your wifes laptop is using.
    Give that a try.

3. simsaladimbamba

If you have copied the IPv4 address from your wife's Mac, then it will not work. Either us another end number on the IPv4 address you copied, or change the wife's Mac's IPv4 address.

Example: wife's Mac's IPv4 address is 192.168.0.3, change the 3 to a 4 or 5 or any number till 255
    The same IP can only be used once within the same network, therefore the router has another IP than your wife's Mac.

4. legaleagle91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the great information. The internet is back up and running.