Internet connectivity issue on wake with iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrochester, Mar 16, 2011.

1. mrochester macrumors 65816

Many a time when I try to browse the internet or check my email from waking my iP4, it won't work until I either toggle airplane mode on and off, or restart the phone. I either get an error saying the server is not responding, or that the phone is not connected to the internet, even with excellent levels of service.

I've tried network setiings resets, restoring the device from backup, and restoring and starting afresh.

Has anyone got any ideas what the problem is?

Thanks

M

[​IMG]

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Which wireless router are you using? Oops 3G never mind.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Worse case scenario is there's something wrong with the network card on the phone. Have you tried duplicating the issue on any other phone?

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That is because you are on TMO and have 3G turned on. Turn off your 3G, it doesn't work with TMO, and the phone is constantly trying to connect.

5. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

No I haven't tried any other phone.

You're probably thinking of TMobile in the US.

6. chrisu91 macrumors regular

I have seen this issue on another iPhone 4. What fixed it was resetting the network settings. Weird that yours wasn't fixed. Since you've tries everything you can with software, have you tried getting a new SIM card yet?

7. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. I'll try resetting my network settings again and see what happens. I believe TMobile would charge me £10 for a new sim card (I had to pay £10 to get a micro SIM at least) and I'd rather avoid paying money unnecessarily! I do have an Android phone I could try the sim in for a while to see if that has any problems should this bring no joy.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Resetting network settings, and changing the sim, will only fix it for a few minutes, I gave you the fix above. TURN OFF YOUR 3G, THE iPHONE DOES NOT SUPPORT 3G ON TMOBILE.

9. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

I can assure you, TMobile very much supports the iPhone and 3G.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/iphone/

You're probably thinking of TMobile USA, where 3G isn't supported on the iPhone.

10. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Sorry...MY bad.:( I didn't know you were in the UK.

11. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

Sadly, even after a network settings reset last night, connectivity died again this morning when I tried to use the Internet upon arrival at work. I had to switch the phone to airplane mode and back to get it working.