Internet connectivity issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NZed, Jun 19, 2011.

1. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Okay so I'm on my iPod because my macbook pro won't connect to the Internet. It's shows that I'm connected to the Internet but when I start network diagnostics, it says that it failed to connected to the ISP, Internet, and server. Airport, Airport settings and Network settings are ok. So I'm guessing that this is happening because of my airport card. From what I've seen in an exploded view of MacBook pro parts, the airport card is located in the part where it holds the screen to the body. I'm thinking that it's the card because every other computer in the house works(mac and non mac) and this problem has been going on for a while now. I would usually have to go plug the Ethernet cable in but is too lazy to do it. I know it's definitely my mac and not the router because my friend bought his mac over and his worked completely fine(he placed it where I usually placed my computer).

Unfortunately I live in a country where there are no apple stores and only authorized resellers.

Anyways what do you macrumors fellow think about this problem and do you have any recommendations? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

Bump.

I'm just not sure if it's my card or not. Do you guys have any reccomendations I do maybe to the settings?

3. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Is your MBP able to connect onto any other wireless networks (eg. library, Starbucks,... etc)?

4. NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

thank you for the reply!! I haven't take my mac outside for about 2-3 months already! McDonalds near me has a free wifi and I will go try it there tomorrow. Please hang on! Cheers!

5. ajindfw macrumors newbie

I'm curious to see this answer. I have a MBP purchased 05/2011, 15", 2.2 Core i7m 4GB ram. I can't connect wirelessly via Airport to my office wireless network (I've connected to this network with no problems every day for the past month since purchasing the computer and the MB I had before it) but I can connect to other wireless networks. Airport is assigning me an IP address that's incorrect. I've renewed DHCP license repeatedly, rebooted wireless router, deleted (tried to delete) network and then rejoined it, and repeatedly I get the wrong IP address. I reflashed my PRAM as well. I tried to connect manually and that did not work.

Given the connectivity to other networks and years of trouble-free use of my Macs, I at first thought the wireless network was the problem, but other resources and other computers use the network without any trouble.

Any help would be appreciated.

6. Treeman574 macrumors regular

I was having problems with my home wireless network, but it turned out to be the router itself. For some reason it denies access for any type of security even if you have the correct password, 64-128 bit wep, eg.

In the end we just used no security, except a mac address access control system. This way only our devices can access the network, no matter what.

7. NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

turns out that its not my airport card. I'm using the free wifi at mcdonalds right now without any drops.

But the question for me is. Why cant my computer use my home network while my friend's who uses the same 2010 MBP can??? If anybody has the answer to this question i would greatly and deeply appreciate it.

Oh and another guy in the house cant use the net now. He said its been acting weird, connecting and then disconnecting(the internet not the wireless).

So it must be my router. Now i will try to change my pass type from WEP to WPA2. I still have to leave the pass on because i have had cases where i came home and saw people in there car parked in front of the house i live in with their laptop on and i presume that he is using my wireless.

8. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Do a factory reset on the router. Install a WPA passcode.

9. NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

I will try that. Thank you

10. str8bucs macrumors regular

Ok I am having the same problem

My 2010 MacBook Pro took a dump and was replaced by AppleCare and they gave me a new 2011 model and not its not staying connected to my network. I did NOT have this problem with the 2010 just the 2011 , I have noticed my iMac does it every so often too!

Any ideas would be great!!

11. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Try powering down your router for say 20-30 secs before restarting to see if this has any positive effects.

If the problem still occurs, check your MBP's IP address against the IP table on your router just in case there are any undetected IP conflicts. This shouldn't happen (in theory) if the IPs are managed by the router's DHCP server but funny things do happen.

12. NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

how do you do that? Matching the IP address?

So I reset the router to factory settings. It worked for a full hour on the windows side and when I switched to mac. It won't work now.
    Any other recommendations?
    Oh and there's a 2 behind my network name in windows. It has never shown before.

13. bigjobby macrumors 65816

If you can get into the console (or interface) for your router, the IP table should be in there somewhere. Might be worth checking its documentation as this varies from router to router. Once your'e in, see if your MBP's IP address is not occupied by another device and is correctly assigned. As previously mentioned, this shouldn't happen but I have come across this before bizarrely enough.

14. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Yeah my new 15 MBP was acting up the other day.
    I guess the wrong password was typed it and it connected for a second then had the "!" symbol. It wouldn't let me retype in the correct password to connect to anything. I acted like I was trying to log into another wireless network (typed in another wrong password), I didn't connect (but it stopped half connecting to mine.) I restarted the router and MBP and went to connect again and it worked.

15. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

That happened to my PC the other week. We had to reset our router and it had a 2 behind the network name. So I reset it again and a 3 showed up. You can go in to Network Connections and change the name/remove the number.

16. NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

yep i got in and saw the table with the IP address and to what computer it belonged to.

i think its my router that is acting up. It wasnt working this morning because i cant connect with my ipod. so a reboot worked and now my mac works!

Mine didnt have any ! symbol because it was connected correctly. I think you have to go in Keychain Access and find your wireless's password and delete it.

Yea but if i connect my ethernet cable, the 1 disappears but for the wireless, its still there. lol